Monday, Sept. 16, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

'Make the experience yours': Out-of-state students adjust to UNC, face challenges

20240830_McKee_university-out-of-state-student-experience-138.jpg
UNC sophomore Gabriella DeMarco poses for a portrait on a porch swing in the backyard of her sorority house, Phi Mu, on Friday, Aug. 30, 2024. “Once I got here, I realized how different it really was being out-of-state,” DeMarco said. “When I would ask someone where they're from, they would say their high school, rather than their city.”

While most UNC students call North Carolina home, up to 18 percent of the student body comes from other parts of the country, and even the world.

Once I got here, I realized how different it really was being out-of-state,” sophomore Gabby DeMarco said. “When I would ask someone where they're from, they would say their high school, rather than their city.”

UNC System Policy 700.1.3 established caps for non-resident students across the UNC system since 1986, to encourage in-state student enrollment. The policy was revised for the 2023-24 academic year. Schools like North Carolina State University and University of North Carolina at Charlotte share the 18 percent cap with UNC-Chapel Hill, while other schools have 25 percent, 35 percent or even 50 percent caps in place.

20240830_McKee_university-out-of-state-student-experience-89.jpg
UNC sophomore Gabriella DeMarco poses for a portrait on the front porch of her sorority house, Phi Mu, on Friday, August 30, 2024. “Keeping a passion that I had in high school, in college, really eased the transition, and it felt kind of like a constant something I could rely on and something I was familiar with," DeMarco said.

If UNC schools surpass these percentages for two consecutive fiscal years, they receive budget cuts based on the number of additional first year students.

Schools like the University of Virginia have higher caps, only being required to maintain a two-thirds majority of Virginia resident students. Other public institutions, like the University of Georgia, have no restriction on out-of-state student numbers.

DeMarco remembers being homesick throughout the first semester, leaving Cincinnati and her two siblings behind, of which she is the third in a set of triplets. However, she found ways to get involved, joining a sorority, church and a capella group.

“Keeping a passion that I had in high school, in college, really eased the transition, and it felt kind of like a constant something I could rely on and something I was familiar with," DeMarco said

Like some other out-of-state students, sophomore Isabella Vu felt like everyone already seemed to come in with groups of friends. Regardless, she threw herself at all the University had to offer, joining everything possible during her first year, and building a community on campus. 

“Pushing yourself to a new limit is where you see a lot of growth from yourself. I know I can always call California my home, but for four years of my life, I want to do something completely different,” Vu said.

09042024_Bulris_vuOOS3.jpg
Isabella Vu sits under the Morehead-Patterson Bell Tower on Sept. 4, 2024. Vu joined the Order of the Bell Tower during her first year at UNC as a way to make connections with people on campus while embracing the school's traditions.

Vu said there was something about the community that struck her, from her first visit, and made the leap seem worth it. She said that when she toured the University, she noticed people, babies and grandparents all wearing Carolina blue.

From her tour experience, she said she felt like there would be community at UNC.

But adjustments take time, and even the most social students are not immune to isolation and loneliness. 

“I feel like the first semester for me at Carolina was probably pretty rough,” Vu said . “I didn't realize that. I feel like at the time that I was homesick, I just felt like it was hard.”

Long breaks can also be difficult for out-of-state students stranded on an emptied campus.

After last year's fatal on-campus shooting, DeMarco was left unable to return home like some of her peers. 

“I know that was a challenging situation for everyone, of course, but when they canceled school for the rest of the week, a lot of people were able to go home and be with their families,” DeMarco said. “I was stuck on campus during that, and that was definitely a really hard, isolating time.” 

Junior Anniken Pedersen said it was important for her to find a routine when keeping up with family back home in New Jersey, at first it was daily FaceTime calls or frequent check-ins. 

20240829_Denman_outofstate.jpg
UNC sophomore Anniken Pedersen poses for a portrait on Franklin st. on Wednesday Aug. 28, 2024.

“It was more of a crutch in the beginning that I've kind of just developed past a bit,” Pedersen said.

She said that creating a support system of other out-of-state students has helped to make UNC feel more like home, along with using long weekends stuck on campus to get ahead in her classes. 

Organizations like the Out-of-State Student Association can help to aid the transition to a new school, and a new state. The association works to bring students together at various social, service and networking events like a yearly outing to see a Durham Bulls game together — even working to provide transportation during breaks.

083124_Connors_out-of-state-students_Kelvin-Perez_-2.jpg
Kelvin Perez, a junior studying sociology, is an out-of-state student from Los Angeles, Calif. He said his fondest childhood memories are from spending time in the outdoors at the beach, so he tries to make time to go hike and be in nature here at UNC.

Kelvin Perez, the OSSA event chair, described the group as family to him. 

Looking forward, the association is working on programming that would allow out-of-state students to spend Thanksgiving with professors, as well as a mentorship program between grades. 

“You really have to be a 'yes' person when it comes to the whole Carolina experience. You can't just sit here and be like, ‘Oh I'm an out-of-state student. I'm different.’ You're not. You're a student at Carolina, and you need to make the experience yours,” Vu said

@mariaesullivan

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com