Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

'Keep fighting': student government maintains DEI efforts despite repeal

20240909_Skvoretz_university-student-government-dei-19.jpg
The DEI Department of Undergraduate Student Government poses for a photo on Monday, Sep. 9, 2024. The department met Monday to discuss various issues, including the recent removal of UNC's Diversity and Inclusion office.

After the controversial removal of Diversity and Inclusion service requirements at UNC System schools, the Undergraduate Student Government is continuing efforts to preserve the intentions of DEI programming in their own actions.

“We as an executive branch always want what's best for students, and DEI was what was best for students,” Eden Aulis-Campos, the Chief of Staff to Vice President Christopher Williams, said

After the policy repeal, some students turned to Student Government for answers.

The Student Government Department of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, a part of the Undergraduate Executive Branch, wants to ensure that students aren’t losing resources or protections they once had. Department co-director Alexandra Versace said the branch is working to find ways to replace what was lost. 

“The students are the ones that are affected by this, and we want to make sure that their mental health—that's one of the biggest things—their mental health and their studies [aren’t personally affected],” Versace said

For now, the change isn’t slated to affect student organizations, which is why the department continues to exist. Still, Versace said, "you never know what's going to happen."

Section 300.8.5[R] of the UNC Policy Manual states that student-led organizations can use University facilities and receive funding while still participating in any “speech or expressive activity" that would otherwise violate institutional neutrality. The revised policy also states that student activity funding may only be granted to student led organizations for the use of University facilities and resources.

“In this role, my job is to help facilitate DEI on campus, whether that be hosting different events, educating others, meeting with students [or] meeting with faculty and staff,” Versace said.

In an interview with The Daily Tar Heel surrounding affirmative action, UNC Student Body President Jaleah Taylor said that she was in the process of trying to work with the UNC Office of Undergraduate Admissions to work toward consistency in minority numbers and status post-affirmative action.

Versace said one of her biggest responsibilities is ensuring that students are educated on what DEI means, saying that the former institutional policy encompassed so much more than just race. Versace said the topic became polarized and political, when in reality, DEI was instituted to protect all students.

“It's not to exclude anybody. It's to make sure that everybody has an equitable experience [and] equitable opportunities,” Versace said

Aulis-Campos wants to reassure students that her office hears their concerns and will continue to prioritize their needs and communities

“It's a movement that has taken decades to come up with, and it was really sad to see that it was something that it was something that was taken away so quickly," Aulis-Campos said

DEI was one of the pillars of Taylor's campaign. After the repeal, the executive branch released a statement on their social media, publicly disagreeing with the Board of Governors' decision. 

“In a university setting, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiatives aim to create a more rich and diverse student body, foster a culture of equal opportunity and success, and promote an inclusive environment where every member belongs regardless of their background, identity, or experiences,” the statement read.

Executive Branch Chief Communications Officer Jakob Williams said that the branch met and fully discussed their stance and statement.

“We were very unanimous about that,” Williams said. “There was no back and forth. DEI is essential to have at this University.” 

When he heard about the BOG vote, Williams said his initial reaction was one of shock, but then one of action. 

“It's interesting because a lot of the time we only know what students know. So that’s something that I'm really trying to work on, is ensuring that there's more effective transparency between the administration and Student Government as a whole,” Williams said

Aulis-Campos said that student government exists to connect students and University administration, both in terms of policy and advocacy, and to encourage students to continue to turn to the branch for answers.

Williams said his office plans to launch a “platform tracker” so that students can see what student government is working to accomplish in real time. 

“I definitely can see where there might be an information gap there, so it's important for me to bridge that,” Williams said

Additionally, the DEI department plans to host a “DEI Town Hall,” on Sept. 25, barring any “blocks” from the University, Versace said, to hear how the removal is personally affecting students, and form a policy plan going forward. Dr. Leah Cox, now the Executive Vice Provost, will be present at the event.

The executive branch shared a form on their Instagram account after the town hall was announced, asking respondents about their perspectives on the removal of D & I services, their experience with initiatives and what the executive branch can do for students going forward.

“It's our university,” Aulis-Campos said. “It’s our campus. UNC wouldn't be UNC without its students, without its faculty, without all the people working there, you know? So I think, at the end of the day, we have to keep fighting and the change is going to happen. It may not happen tomorrow, it may not happen in the next couple of months, but it's coming.”

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com