Thursday, Oct. 3, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

How to vote in person in Orange County on Election Day

Lewis-volly-110123-28.jpg
Early voting signs for municipal elections sit outside at Chapel of The Cross on Wednesday, Nov. 1, 2023.

On Election Day, registered voters have the option to cast their ballots in person. Polling places will open at 6:30 a.m. and remain open until 7:30 p.m. 

Voters can find their polling place by checking their voter registration. On Election Day, voters can only cast their ballots at their assigned polling place.

UNC students who live on campus and are registered to vote in Orange County will be able to cast their ballots at the Sonja Haynes Stone Center for Black Culture and History.

Voter photo identification is required for both early and Election Day voting. Valid forms of identification include driver's licenses, passports and military and student identification cards, including physical One Cards.

Registered voters can also receive a free voter ID from their county board of elections by visiting during normal business hours, or a free non-driver’s ID card from the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles. Due to a recent appellate court ruling, digital One Cards are not an acceptable form of voter identification. 

There are some exceptions for the photo ID requirement. Voters with a religious opposition to being photographed, as well as victims of recently declared natural disasters, can fill out an ID Exemption Form. Additionally, voters with barriers to providing identification, such as transportation issues or scheduling concerns, can fill out an exemption form. 

If you arrive at your polling place and realize you forgot your ID, voters can fill out a provisional ballot. In order for a provisional ballot to be counted, voters must present their photo ID to their county board of elections the day before county canvass.

According to the N.C. Board of Elections, polling locations tend to be the busiest in the early morning and just before polls close. Voters in line prior to 7:30 p.m. will be allowed to vote even if their polling place closes while they wait.

For more information on how to vote, sample ballots and polling locations, visit the N.C. Board of Elections and Orange County Board of Elections webpages.

McKenzie Bulris

McKenzie Bulris is a 2023-24 audio & video co-editor at the Daily Tar Heel. He has previously served as the video editor. McKenzie is pursuing a double major in journalism and media and public policy.