Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

'On the knife's edge': Following North Carolina's path to swing state

Jimmy Carter Speech in Wilson, N.C., 1978.jpg

Photos by Russell Rawlings and Larry Sullivan of the Daily Times, courtesy of the Images of North Carolina Digital Collection.

North Carolina is just one part of an enumerated list that political commentators recite while talking about the presidential race on live TV.

Pennsylvania. Ohio. Arizona. Georgia. Wisconsin. Nevada. North Carolina. 

Rural voters, the liberal enclaves of Raleigh and Charlotte and the path to recovery for the western part of the state are all given an off-hand mention.

But, the only time North Carolina has voted for a Democratic president in the past 20 years was in 2008, when Barack Obama won his first term. States like Florida, Virginia and Indiana were among some of the other "swing states" that went for Obama, perhaps because of high rates of first-time voters or mobilization efforts in underrepresented communities. The margin of victory was a small .32 percent — just 14,177 votes. All of North Carolina’s Republican presidential victories in the past 20 years were won by margins of a whole percent or more. In 2004, George W. Bush won the state by 12 percentage points. 

The last Democratic presidential candidate to win the state was former president Jimmy Carter in 1976. Carter, a Georgia native who campaigned on a sort-of Southern populism, appealed to conservative, rural voters in states like North Carolina. He beat incumbent Gerald Ford by winning the South — Georgia, South Carolina, Florida, Texas, Alabama and Mississippi.  

Now, both former President Donald Trump and Vice-President Kamala Harris have visited and fundraised in the state since the race ramped up after President Joe Biden dropped out. The Harris campaign has set up numerous offices across North Carolina. Trump has taken a particular interest in the southeastern part of the state, promising the Lumbee Tribe full federal recognition if he wins re-election. Harris visited the western part of the state weeks ago after Hurricane Helene hit, while Trump has critiqued federal response to the crisis. 

Harry Watson remembers when North Carolina wasn’t an actor in national politics. He’s a retired professor of history at UNC and lifelong North Carolinian. He specializes in the Jacksonian era of American politics in the South. To him, the state is moderate.

The state’s always-strong geographical divisions and class divides have made it a political puzzle since the Civil War. During Reconstruction, the Republican Party of Lincoln gained support in the state, especially in the mountains and among freed slaves and poor white farmers. From the late 1870s to 1898, Black and white tenant farmers in the eastern and western corners of the state became a political entity, while elites remained allegiant to the Democratic Party. 

The Populist Party and the Republican Party — known nationally as the Farmer’s Alliance — cooperated in state and federal elections from 1894 to the beginning of the Jim Crow era. While under Republican-Populist control, the N.C. General Assembly voted to increase ballot access for Black voters in 1895.

But it wasn’t long until the state’s electoral landscape drastically changed again.

In 1898, Democrats recaptured the General Assembly during the general election and days after led the Wilmington Coup, a race riot led by many former Confederates that left 60 Black North Carolinians dead. 

Two years after, Democrats put a constitutional amendment on the ballot mandating a poll tax and a literacy test. Watson said this weakened the power of the Republican Party’s voter base and began a long trend of voter disenfranchisement in the state. 

Fast forward to the Republican-Democratic party shift and the passage of the Civil Rights Act in 1964. Watson, now in his 80s, said that people his age will never forget that the modern N.C. Republican Party was founded on a silent reaction against the Civil Rights Movement.

Watson has served as an expert witness for a state supreme court case on gerrymandering, acted as a member of the University’s Faculty Council and still sits on a number of state historical boards. He’s observed the state’s political maps and voting trends ebb and flow over the years. 

With debates on Voter I.D. and this year’s constitutional amendment around naturalized citizens, certain North Carolinians have struggled with access to the polls in decades past. But, the political coalitions and voting blocks that led Carter and Obama to victory in the state are still present. 

“That kind of change has crept in over the last generation, accelerated by things like the riots of the 1960s and so on,” Watson said

Michael Bitzer, a professor of politics and history at Catawba College, said that many times people conflate the idea of a swing state with political competition. Because North Carolina is the only “swing” state that Trump won in 2020, Bitzer said the state has a unique political environment that polls can't quite capture. Most political precincts in North Carolina are overwhelmingly Republican or Democratic — when you combine these areas, you get a roughly 51-49 state. 

“The margin of victory for the presidential race is probably going to be within the margin of error of all the polls leading into the election,” he said

Watson said that the “contagion” of outsiders moving to North Carolina doesn’t mean the state is going to go bluer. He said that people from places like New York and New Jersey who move to the South for lower cost of living often think that their home states are too liberal. 

In the late 1970s, Ferrel Guillory, the founder of the Program on Public Life at UNC, found that North Carolina was the state with the lowest proportion of out-of-state births in the country while combing through the U.S. Census for an upcoming book. As of 2018, 44 percent of N.C. residents were born out-of-state.

“From about the 1800s to the 1980s, nobody moved to North Carolina — everybody moved out,” Watson said

Since 2020, the metropolitan population of the Triangle alone has grown more than five percent. Numerous news outlets and magazines have labeled the state as a top area to move to because of lower cost of living and job opportunities in the Research Triangle and other commercial centers. There’s been a demographic change across the state as a whole, too. According to the N.C. Office of State Budget and Management, the Hispanic population has been the fastest growing demographic in the state since 1990. 

The state is experiencing a kind-of political reckoning with two-term Democratic Governor Roy Cooper exiting office and multiple contentious state races, like Michele Morrow’s controversial bid for superintendent of Public Instruction. But, Bitzer said that party turn-out rates are what helps keep the state federally Republican. In 2020, 75 percent of registered Democrats voted in the general election, while registered Republicans were at 81 percent.  Bitzer also said that the demographic of Black men that helped Obama win the state in 2008 have had lower turnout rates in years since. 

“Prior to 2000 there wasn't early voting, there have been a lot of structural changes making it easier to vote,” Gerry Cohen said.

Cohen, a member of the Wake County Board of Elections, has spent countless election seasons past mobilizing voters across the state. He said he expects voter turnout to be high this year because of the money spent by both parties on door-to-door campaigning, advertisements and get-out-the-vote efforts. 

“We’ve had Democratic governors almost continuously for 30 years or more, other than Pat McCrory,” Cohen said. “It’s purple to the extent that Democrats can carry state offices but have had trouble with federal offices.”

Right now, political polling site FiveThirtyEight has reported three major polls from Quinnipiac University and Redfield & Wilton Strategies that show either Harris and Trump gaining the amount of the vote or Harris winning. News outlets and polls are continuing to label North Carolina as a swing state and campaigns will continue to court its voters until Nov. 5. 

Still, North Carolina is a toss-up. 

“We are a 51-49 Democratic state, so we're kind of on the knife's edge in terms of competitiveness,” Bitzer said. “I think based on the polling, it is really a coin toss at this point.”

@wslivingston_

Walker Livingston

Walker Livingston is the 2024 enterprise managing editor at The Daily Tar Heel. She has previously served as summer city & state editor and assistant city & state editor. Walker is a sophomore pursuing a double major in journalism and media and American studies, with a minor in data science.