Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Orange County Board of Education discusses declining enrollment, funding

20220328_Rains_city-disparities-in-orange-county-schools.jpg

The Orange County Board of Education building sits on East King Street in Hillsborough on Monday, March 28, 2022.

The Orange County Board of Education met on Oct. 7 to discuss declining enrollment rates, available funding and renovations for Orange County Schools. 

What's new? 

• OCS Chief Academic Officer Julie Pack gave an update on school enrollment, demographic and attendance data. Pack said enrollment at OCS has steadily declined over the past few years.
    • She said OCS has 74 less students enrolled than was projected.
    • There are five schools in the district with lower enrollment numbers, including Central Elementary School, Efland-Cheeks Global Elementary School, River Park Elementary School, Orange Middle School and Orange High School.  
  • Since enrollment in the 2024-25 academic year is lower than expected, Pack said OCS will see a future decrease in funding.
  • Pack said the number of Hispanic students in OCS is growing, while most other ethnic or racial groups are holding steady or declining.
  • "We know that enrollment is also contingent on our community's confidence in our schools," she said. "And as you know, this administration has a focus on student success and school success."
  • The district is working to conduct outreach to families to increase enrollment, Pack said, including a kindergarten registration campaign.
  • "One thought I had is potentially considering some additional proactive outreach to non-OCS preschools," Board Member Sarah Smylie said. "There's a bunch in the area. My guess is that charter schools are doing some proactive outreach to them."

What decisions were made?

• The board unanimously approved the consent agenda which included funding for renovations on Efland-Cheeks Global Elementary School and New Hope Elementary School. 

What's next? 

• The Orange County BOE will meet again on Oct. 21 at 7 p.m.