Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Orange County Schools hires new operating officer with planning, architecture experience

Davis-Fredrick-contrib.jpg

Photo courtesy of Fredrick Davis.

Orange County Schools recently appointed a new chief operating officer, Fredrick Davis. Since Sept. 5, Davis has met with district principals and begun planning future projects. 

Davis’ background is largely anchored in project management. He is a licensed architect in North Carolina and worked with Durham Public Schools as a planner and architect. 

In his first month, Davis said he wanted to know more about the district, so he met with all 13 principals to hear their visions and plans. He also said he analyzed the district’s current capital improvement plans to make sure they align with the best funding timelines. 

Davis said he is excited to continue working on existing projects, such as the renewal of athletic facilities, air quality upgrades and interior improvements to restrooms and media centers. 

Davis said his long-term goals for the district focus on ensuring all facilities are efficient and properly operated. He said he is passionate about transforming learning environments to meet 21st-century standards.

Superintendent Danielle Jones said in an email statement that while Davis works quickly, he is still very strategic in his approach, and she is excited to have him join OCS. 

She added that Davis brings expertise, experience and leadership to the district. 

“As a collaborative leader, he has already had a positive impact on the way we work directly with our schools to support them and also the way we join with our county to facilitate capital improvements,” Jones said. 

Previously, Davis served as a project manager and lead planner for Durham Public Schools and worked with the YMCA of the Triangle on civic projects, including the Southeast Raleigh Elementary School project.

Director of DPS Strategic Communications Crystal Roberts said she worked closely with Davis during his time in the district. She said Davis was highly responsive, competent and thorough. His legacy at DPS is marked by his serious approach to representing the Department of Operational Services and his commitment to lifelong learning, Roberts said. 

"Mr. Davis would take the time to explain, what the building program looked like, its status, and which projects were up next,” Roberts said.

Davis said he already feels like a part of the family and is excited about the collaborative efforts to enhance the district’s operations.

“What I like about Orange County Schools is that they have a family-first approach,” Davis said. “They really take a mantra ‘From the time your student leaves your house to the time they leave our school buildings, we want you to know that we are a family-first, nurturing, yet firm organization that cares about the learning environments of students.'”

@ChetanaKon654

@DTHCityState | city@dailytarheel.com