Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Q&A: Chris Freeman discusses the importance of community, Court of Appeals candidacy

Court-of-Appeals-Building.jpeg
Photo Courtesy of North Carolina Judicial Branch

The Daily Tar Heel's Suchetana Kona spoke with Chris Freeman, the Republican candidate for the N.C. Court of Appeals Judge Seat 15, to discuss his candidacy and aspirations for the court. His Democratic opponent is Martin Moore.

This interview has been edited for brevity and clarity.

The Daily Tar Heel: What do you want voters to know about you?

Chris Freeman: Judges are real people, and that we are just putting on a robe. [When] we put that robe on, it is a huge responsibility, and it's a responsibility I don't take lightly. I've had the honor to get the experience and the opportunity to run for this office, and if [the people] give me the opportunity to do it, I will serve them well.

DTH: What does justice mean to you?

CF: Justice, to me, means that we have a set of laws and rules in the Constitution, and it's a judge's duty to follow those laws, stay in their lane, uphold the Constitution, treat everybody equally as it applies to the law and that the evidence given be very impartial. [It's also] to treat everybody with respect and dignity on and off the bench and deliver justice without delay.

DTH: As a judge on the Court of Appeals, what issues would be important to you?

CF: Just doing the right thing, being a good person and giving back. I think [when] you look at my life, [you] see that I don't have to serve in [any] capacity, I don't have to be involved in my community, but I am. [I think] service is very important, and God's blessed my life and I pray every day that I will do his will and honor the blessings that have been bestowed on me.

DTH: What makes you the better candidate?

CF: [I've had] 18 years of working with law enforcement, courthouse staff, victims and the community and working as a prosecutor trying cases. Then, as a judge, [I've heard] all kinds of cases — civil matters, criminal matters. Since I was elected, [I've] always followed the policy I said I would, and that's what [I] talked about earlier — that I would follow the law as it is, stay in my lane, treat everybody with dignity and respect and take each case seriously.

DTH: What would your primary goals be if elected?

CF: To continue to be consistent and stay in my lane, follow the law, uphold the Constitution, doing the job the people elected and trusted me to do and serve them well. As a Court of Appeals judge, that would be looking for errors in law from court cases appealed from other courts and [applying] the law that is — I would not legislate from the bench and uphold and defend the Constitution

@ChetanaKon654