Tuesday, Oct. 22, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Q&A: Martin Moore talks diverse perspectives, judicial experience

Martin-Moore-headshot.jpeg
Photo of Martin Moore courtesy of Martin Moore for Judge.

The Daily Tar Heel's Suchetana Kona spoke with Martin Moore, the Democratic candidate for the N.C. Court of Appeals Judge Seat 15, to discuss his candidacy and aspirations for the court. His Republican opponent is Chris Freeman.

This interview has been edited for brevity and clarity.

The Daily Tar Heel: What do you want voters to know about you?

Martin Moore: Our system works well when we have diverse perspectives on the bench, and, for me, there's a few different hats I'm wearing that I think will resonate with a lot of people. Appellate experience and being a former public defender are two perspectives that are needed on the bench, but being the youngest statewide candidate this election cycle will also inform a new perspective on the Court of Appeals. Right now, I'd like people to appreciate that because of the important national conversation happening around what issues will be decided by state courts and what issues will be decided by federal courts.

DTH: What does justice mean to you?

MM: Justice isn't contingent on your zip code or how much money you have in your pocket. Every North Carolinian should be able to expect that they'll be treated with dignity, respect and know that the Court's going to operate as it should, which is devoid of partisanship and extremism.

DTH: As a judge on the Court of Appeals, what issues would be important to you?

MM: I don't believe that we reach a just system without context for decisions that we make, so bringing the perspective of a commissioner who has seen firsthand what the Court of Appeals decisions look like for local communities will be a helpful one.

The Court of Appeals and Supreme Court have made multiple decisions surrounding education funding, criminal justice and healthcare and reproductive rights which I've seen the Court's role changing in. I'm very interested in serving in a capacity where I think I'll bring a unique perspective and understanding that we need judges who have different backgrounds to decide the many, many important questions that are likely to be resolved over the next couple of years.

DTH: What makes you the better candidate?

MM: I began my career as a public defender and learned what it meant to fight for just outcomes. I went on to a private practice and got a healthy amount of experience in many different practice areas in the civil world, ranging from complex business cases to land use and local government law. Now I have an appellate practice where I do civil and criminal cases before the Court of Appeals and Supreme Court — the two areas that I'm focusing on.

Having experience doing appellate work is critical. This is not the kind of position that I hope to learn on the job, but to bring a fresh perspective while also having direct experience that will be helpful from day one.

DTH: What would your primary goals be if elected?

MM: Many times when we talk about different judicial philosophies and what people bring to the table, I think integrity and transparency are key. A big part of what I want to share with people when I'm fortunate enough to serve will be experience and directness about what justice looks like to me and using the many hats that I've worn and the many perspectives that I've gained from having done civil and criminal practice — both to share with people a clear idea of what my guiding principles are and that equal justice has to be a priority for any person wearing a robe.

Editor's note: Martin Moore is a former DTH staffer.

@ChetanaKon654