Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

1,2,3 Puppetry combines social justice and entertainment

20240928_Gandikota_lifestyle-123-puppetry-3.jpg
Sol Ramirez's Craigh na Dun Rock commission was on display in Hillsborough, North Carolina on September 28,2024 at the Outlandish Hillsborough Scottish Festival. There are many people lined up to take a picture in front of his art.

Sol Ramirez, a junior at the University of Connecticut, is the driving force behind 1,2,3 Puppetry, a local group of young puppeteers based in Chapel Hill. The group promotes the mission of social justice by utilizing performance art of giant puppets, music, masks and movement. By combining entertainment with activism, 1,2,3 Puppetry aims to build a community-centered company through puppetry.

Ramirez said that bringing inanimate objects to life has always been puppetry’s charm. 

“Seeing something being animated in real time, and the stories that they can tell, the messages they can spread, that's kind of the things that always draw me into puppetry — its inherent creativeness and how it's an art form that really can pull in almost any other type of creative interest,” Ramirez said

Ramirez has worked with various members and teams throughout the years that 1,2,3 Puppetry has been active. The organization is primarily young adult led, with the oldest performer only being a few years older than Ramirez. 

Starting at the young age of 5, Ramirez’s environment was filled with films of puppetry, especially the works of Jim Henson in The Muppets, Sesame Street and Fraggle Rock. When asked the question, "what do you want to be when you grow up?" Ramirez always said he wanted to be a puppeteer. 

“I always had to extend my explanation for wanting to be a puppeteer, and show that that was something that was set on from that age on," he said

His parents led him to this path, emphasizing his Mexican-American culture, which he is inspired by and is something he frequently pulls from in his art. Specifically, Ramirez was inspired by the masks and art hanging on the walls of his home as a kid, as well as postcards his grandparents would send to him depicting the Mojiganga parade puppets — traditional Mexican puppets found on the streets of San Miguel de Allende, Mexico. 

The productions of 1,2,3 Puppetry primarily spread messages of social justice to showcase stories and ideas that are not commonly talked about or shared. For example, Ramirez’s recent work includes a giant puppet called Justice for the Gaza Solidarity encampment to shed light on the protest and promote justice.

The group creates and directs productions and conducts workshops at various venues. Additionally, 1,2,3 Puppetry is sometimes commissioned for specific work. On Saturday, the Outlandish Hillsborough Scottish Festival displayed Ramirez's commissioned work, the Craigh na Dun rocks. 

The Hillsborough Arts Council  has collaborated with Ramirez on all kinds of events, including the annual Solstice Lantern Walk, Handmade Parade Workshops and the Día de los Muertos showcase from last fall. 

“HAC adores and has really benefited from collaboration with Sol,” Ivana Beveridge, programs and marketing director of HAC, said. “It’s given us a lot of historical organization knowledge.” 

Ramirez’s productions tend to steer away from having dialogue or narration. He builds everything from scratch and writes music with his team to emote their puppets and performances. The collaborative energy of the puppet company's productions is important for Ramirez's creative goals, he said.

Tarish "Jeghetto" Pipkins, a puppet engineer and the founder of Jeghetto's Entertainment, LLC, has been close family friends and a helping hand for Ramirez to get on his path at the University of Connecticut Puppet Arts Program under the Dramatic Arts. Pipkins said that UConn has one of the best puppetry programs in the country. 

Pipkins said that Ramirez is an activist at heart, and all the puppet work he does is intentional. 

“That's all 1,2,3, Puppetry is really about, getting into it," he said. "He's a revolutionary — just using puppets as his weapon." 

Ramirez plans to continue his work with 1,2,3 Puppetry after he graduates college and hopes to bring puppets he has made at college down to North Carolina next summer. He is also working for larger shows based in Latino cultural celebration, to explore culture through art. 

“The best way to look at it for me running a company like this, where each year I want to have a different show, is that the best production is the next one, and then it's always getting better each production and each cycle and in each step of the way,” Ramirez said.

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com