Friday, Oct. 4, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

N.C. artists paint landscapes of local landmarks for eighth annual Paint it Orange

lifestyle-8th-annual-paint-it-orange-2.jpg
Photo courtesy of Katherine Apuzzo.

For the past eight years, artists all over the region have participated in Paint it Orange — a competition hosted by the Orange County Arts Commission where participating artists travel to different historic and outdoor sites and capture them in a work of art. 

Katie Murray, director of the Commission, said that 90 artists will be participating in this year’s event, which is the largest turnout to date. The competition began on Sept. 27.

The wide variety of artists, hailing from towns like Chapel Hill, Durham, Hillsborough and beyond, often leads to a diverse collection of works made for the event, featuring numerous landmarks across the county. 

Because of this, artists must adapt to ever-changing outdoor conditions. Marcia McDade McMann, who works with a variety of mediums, said that a major challenge of plein air, or open-air painting, is the changes in lighting.

She added that it’s challenging to paint subjects over different times of the day, so she constantly needs to adjust her approach in order to capture a fleeting moment on her canvas.

McMann has participated in the paint-out for three consecutive years. One of her biggest motivations for taking part in the competition is to better herself creatively, as she is not normally a plein air artist. 

“So I always do it, even though all the things happen, your canvas falls on the ground, grass gets in your paint, all the technical problems that one might have out in a limited situation with your paint and your easel,” she said.

Emily Anderson, a Chatham County native and another artist participating in the event, typically sketches out what she wants to paint first as a way to mitigate some of the challenges of open-air painting. 

Anderson said her work goes beyond just paint strokes on a canvas. Her paintings for this event have been a way for her to pay homage to her hometown.

“I’ve lived here for 18 years, and these are spots I’ve been to a lot, and so there is an emotional connection to me,” she said. “One of the sites that I chose [for this year’s round] is Open Eye [Cafe], and you can see the Century Center clock in the background, which is iconic Carrboro, there's a big clock there. So, I wanted to do something that people would easily recognize.”

Anderson said the paint-out is a way for her to connect with more artists in the community, which she struggles with after taking time off to raise her family. 

Something Murray is striving for this year, and in the future, is making the event more accessible to artists of all skill levels and backgrounds. So, for the second year in a row, the competition has a youth segment. Murray said that this year there are around 45 participating middle and high schoolers. One of them is Anderson’s art student, who she teaches in her home studio. 

Various artists have different inspiration for their paint-out submission. McMann said her art does not always have a specific meaning, but instead has a more free-flowing effect.

“Sometimes the painting says a lot, but it’s more from the subconscious than the conscious mind,” she said. “And also, it synchronizes you to nature somewhat, and you might start thinking about something you don’t normally consider.”

Painter Joyeeta Neogi from Morrisville said that her art focuses on the beauty to be found even in the most uncommon places. 

At Blackwood Farm Park in Chapel Hill, she captured farmhouses and greenery in the area. She also visited North Carolina Botanical Garden where she was able to capture flowers, which is her specialty.

“There’s so many beautiful things to enjoy and very little things which in everyday life we discover and that we are trying to capture,” she said. “That’s a different kind of happiness and joy.” 

The public can engage in a family-friendly and fun viewing experience at the art show opening on Friday at Eno Arts Mill from 6-9 p.m. That evening, there will be an adjudication, awards ceremony and a painting sale where the submitted works will be available for purchase. Local musician Jesse Fox will be performing at the event.

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com