Friday, Oct. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Collaboration is the heart of new early modern music album

20241024_Gandikota_lifestyle-michael-kris-col-collaborandi-1.jpg
Michael Kris, a music professor at UNC poses for a portrait on Thursday, Oct. 24, 2024 in James and Susan Moeser Auditorium. He just recently released an album called Col Collaborandi.

Michael Kris recently released an album on Sept. 24 called “Cor Collaborandi” which is centered around early modern music. 

Kris is a teaching professor at UNC in the department of music and is a part of the teaching faculty at Duke as well. At UNC, he teaches low brass and chamber music, and he performs on trombone professionally. He said during his time in graduate school for performance, he was exposed to early modern music in a deeper way. 

“I think I sat down in there and started playing some of this old music,” he said, “and realized it gave me more of a voice than the orchestral music that I was primarily studying in terms of art and the pleasure in performance.” 

After receiving the Chapman Family Teaching Award in 2020, Kris gained more financial backing to create this album. He said teaching at UNC and Duke and having colleagues who are incredible performers inspires him to pursue his own interests. 

“If I were just an orchestral player or I was teaching at a conservatory,” he said, “I wouldn’t spend any time with old music because it just wouldn’t be appreciated, number one, nor would I be given the opportunity for research in that area as I’ve been given here.” 

The ensemble in “Cor Collaborandi” performed most of the music they were planning to record in Salzburg, Austria, in the summer of 2022. In August of that year they all met again, but this time in the Duke Chapel, to record the album. 

A violinist on the album, Leah Peroutka, said playing with musicians from across the world in Europe and then playing with them back in the United States was very special. She also said that Kris was a great team leader on this project. 

“I think we’re all just really in awe of his dedication and ability to pull this off,” she said. 

Joseph Causby, the director of music and organist at the Chapel of the Cross — an Episcopalian church on Franklin Street — played the organ on the album. He said his favorite pieces were the ones with both instruments and choir involved. Even though it’s a challenge, he said, it is a joy to do. 

Playing and recording the album in Duke Chapel was unparalleled, Causby said. It is rare to get to play that music where it was originally meant to be played, and he said it was cool to be able to play with such a wide variety of musicians.

“I think you can hear that spirit of camaraderie in the playing,” he said.

Becca Clemens, a former student of Kris’ and now a middle school band director, also said that playing in Duke Chapel after playing overseas was special. 

“I think that’s what I really like about these projects, is getting to kind of do a modern take but also stay true to how the music would have sounded and how it was intended in the time period it was written and performed,” she said.

Clemens said she hopes that this album will expose people to a new side of music and showcase the collaboration between friends who are all passionate about early modern music. 

“It’s a pretty incredible collaboration,” she said, “when you think about where everyone’s from and the common thread is music in this historical context.”

Outside of “Cor Collaborandi,” Clemens said Kris is an incredible teacher who encourages his students to critically think and that he facilitates a great learning environment for all students. She also said that he guides students into becoming great people, not just great musicians. 

“So, he’s doing true educational work,” she said, “and this project is true academic work, and it really is an incredible product that he’s turned out.”

Music now has a short shelf life, Kris said, as technology has improved and music can now be listened to anywhere at any time.  He said a typical thought is that we need to do everything by ourselves, but the title “Cor Collaborandi” showcases the heart of collaborating and the joy that comes out of it. 

“What I hope ages forward out of this album is the idea that you can have a dream, work with others together, and that dream can be realized and be something substantive that everyone can enjoy, appreciate, or benefit from,” he said.

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Election Preview Edition