Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Crochet Club creates tight-knit community, donates blankets to unhoused people

20240928_Ruesch_lifestyle_crochet_club_feature-1.jpg
UNC junior Sophia Vona, co-president of the Crochet Club, teaches senior Umer Imam how to crochet during a club meeting at Woollen Gymnasium on Thursday, Sept. 26, 2024.

For the past few years, crocheting has become a Gen Z phenomenon. A simple search of  “crochet” on TikTok displays thousands of videos, some with hundreds of thousands of views of users’ yarn and hook creations, including sweaters, hats and tapestries. 

But the trend is not limited to social media, and many students on campus have taken up crocheting as a hobby. 

When Alex Xiao, a junior computer science major, met Sophia Vona, a junior biology and English double major, the two learned of their shared crocheting passion. Thus, they started informal meet-ups at Craige Residence Hall as first-years, and over the course of several months, their once-casual meet-ups gained popularity. 

Xiao and Vona are currently co-presidents of Crochet Club, which became an official UNC club last fall. Since then, it has attracted many students with its crochet projects and opportunities to learn, teach and give back to the community. The club currently has 135 members.

Crochet Club aims to allow everybody the ability to engage with crocheting in a group environment, Devon Cholon, the club’s vice president and one of the instructors, said. The leaders of the Crochet Club have cultivated a space for students to improve their mental health by relaxing and taking a break from the stress of the day, she said. 

“Creating something really gives you an opportunity to give your brain a break without that guilt associated with it,” Cholon said. “But obviously, crafting and anything that has so many materials involved has a high bar of entry. And so to make that accessible to people — I think it's just the coolest thing."

The Crochet Club meets every other Thursday from 7-9 p.m. and includes free supplies and instruction on techniques and patterns. It has evolved past its origins as informal Craige meet-ups to more structured sessions. 

20240928_Ruesch_lifestyle_crochet_club_feature-8.jpg
UNC sophomore Nya Batson crochets with a new ball of yarn during a Crochet Club meeting at Woollen Gymnasium on Thursday, Sept. 26, 2024.

Each meeting looks different, with some focused on introducing the basics of crocheting and others being project days, allowing members to create a fun product to take home with them.

“At the beginning of the meetings, we like to introduce ourselves, let people know we're here to help you, but other than that, it's not really a free for all, but it's an individual experience,” Queen Crump, the club’s treasurer and another one of the instructors, said. 

No prior experience is required to join the Crochet Club, and everybody is encouraged to check it out, whether or not someone has picked up hooks and yarn before or not, Crump said. 

The club also gives members the opportunity to give back to their community. Members often make granny squares — a piece of square fabric made by working in rounds from the center outward — that the club uses as a foundational teaching tool. Sometimes, a square does not come out the way someone intends. 

Rather than throwing them away, the club’s executives use them to make blankets for homeless people that they donate to Hearts for the Homeless Carolina.  This organization offers free healthcare services, such as blood pressure screenings, and additional resources to Chapel Hill and Carrboro’s homeless populations. Crochet Club also hosted an event for the organization in April.

“I think crocheters really like being able to engage with something that they know is going to give back,” Vona said.