Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Visiting artist Lorena Molina turns painful experiences into performance art

20241003_West_lifestyle-hanes-lorena-molina-5.jpg
A still from Lorena Molina’s 2017 video performance "Building a Home Out of Dirt" is displayed on a screen at Hanes Art Center in Chapel Hill N.C., on Thursday, Oct. 3, 2024. The piece serves as a metaphor for the immigrant experience and the struggle to build a home in an unwelcoming environment.

Students and community members gathered at the Hanes Art Center on Friday to visit artist Lorena Molina's event, "Balancing Act on Home, Art, and Academia: A Reckoning From the Margins,"  which was a presentation on Molina's experiences in her home country of El Salvador.

A low murmur vibrated through the gathered audience before Molina entered with a grin plastered across her face. 

“But does America love you?” she asked the crowd, officially opening her presentation inspired by the emotions she experienced in childhood. She then shared photos from her family album, displaying her life in El Salvador before she was forced to leave because of civil war. 

Molina told the audience that immigration brought a lot of questions, discomfort and uncertainty regarding a sense of belonging in America. 

“What does it mean for a country to ask for loyalty and love and alliance from people it doesn’t love back?” she said during the presentation.

As her artistic career progressed, Molina said her work became a form of immense catharsis and release. At Rice University in Houston, Molina was asked to create a public art exhibition. In a piece of performance art entitled “La Tierra Recuerda”, or “The Land Remembers," Molina laid on sharp rocks in El Playón, a volcanic eruption site guerrilla opposition groups used to discard dead bodies from the Salvadoran Civil War. 

“At the time, I wanted my body to restore the pain of the space. I wanted to be physically marked by the sharp rocks and the paths my family and I can’t escape," she said during the event.

Although the project was eventually approved by Rice University, Molina initially faced pushback for it, being told it was not happy or digestible enough to a widespread audience. Nonetheless, she stayed true to her vision. She said she is firm in her belief that she cannot separate her creativity from the histories she is a part of — a union that exists in much of her current work, including her ongoing exhibit, “This Must Be The Place,” which captures Molina’s ever-evolving ideas around home and personal identity. Molina showcases this exhibit at various locations throughout the U.S. 

Lillian Britt, a senior studio art major who attended the presentation, said she came to Molina’s talk as part of research for her honors thesis, but also for her own enrichment and enjoyment as an artist.

“The way that she talked about decolonizing a classroom is something that I think is so important to have happen," she said. "And I wish I could see more of that in this University and many other places of learning.”

Britt said it was eye-opening being able to witness the different types of protests going on around campus and simultaneously learning about how Molina has responded to a similar type of conflict through her artwork.

Emma Gonzalez, a senior psychology major, said she was moved by Molina’s artistic and creative journey. 

"To hear her speak about that [the Salvadoran Civil War] was really powerful," Gonzalez said. "Not nice to hear, obviously, I wish she didn’t have to go through that, but it was nice to hear her being able to speak about it.”

As a creative, Molina hopes her work prompts viewers to dig deeper. She is passionate about the idea that artists should question the world around them and be clear about what they stand for.

“I want them to be thinking about, what does it mean to witness the pain of others?" she said. "What does it mean to live in a society that causes pain in everyday life?”

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com