Friday, Oct. 25, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Just like how the changing leaves indicate the onset of the fall season, the symphony of coughs and sniffles heard during lectures indicate the arrival of another: flu season. 

Typically starting in October, flu season only adds to the various illnesses already spreading around college campuses, such as COVID-19, mono and stomach bugs. These viruses thrive in areas where people are in close proximity with one another, and college living situations often epitomize this type of close contact.

Michelle Camarena, the director of Nursing and Performance Improvement at Campus Health, said that getting the flu vaccine is the best way for people on college campuses to avoid getting sick. 

Camarena said practicing respiratory hygiene — which includes methods like wearing masks and avoiding touching your face — are also effective at protecting students. 

Every student has their own method to avoid getting sick, ranging from mixing vitamin C packets with their water to wearing a mask.

Daffany Lee, a UNC first-year biology major, said she’s constantly surrounded by others in her Hinton James dorm and that falling ill is unavoidable. However, she said simple things like washing your hands and distancing yourself from others when you’re sick can help.

She also said going outside — alongside medication — is how she takes care of herself when she’s not feeling well.

“Don't bury yourself in your dorm,” she said. “You're gonna feel even more sick.” 

Lee’s advice echoes various studies that say sunlight exposure helps avoid catching the flu. This is because sunshine promotes vitamin D production, which can bolster our immune systems

UNC first-year human development and family sciences major Rori Hammond said she’s been sick around five times this semester, although her light symptoms are much more forgiving than what some of her peers have dealt with. 

“When I have gotten sick, I feel like it's kind of just like endgame,” she said. “I've been popping a bunch of Emergen-C and going to class.” 

Although Hammond said she doesn’t have a specific strategy to try to avoid getting sick, she tries to maintain healthy habits like eating healthy and drinking lots of fluids. 

“I'll start trying to pop vitamins, which is so unlike me, but anything to not get super sick here,” she said.

Amy Sauls, director of Pharmacy and Professional Services at Campus Health, also said getting proper fluids and rest is an important step in recovery that busy college students tend to forget. 

She also noted that vitamin supplementation — specifically vitamin C — can help lessen the severity of illness, but the evidence isn’t clear. 

When it comes to getting vaccinated, Camarena said that UNC tends to follow through. So far, Campus Health has administered over 4,000 flu vaccines this semester.

Sauls also noted that the community seems to rally for each other during this time.

“So many times when Michelle and I are in vaccine clinics and such, I hear people say, ‘You know, I'm getting this for everyone around me too,’” she said. “So, that's what I've seen over the years and that I'm always heartened by — that Tar Heels take care of each other.”

UNC students can receive their flu vaccine at the student store pharmacy, Campus Health pharmacy or at various walk-in clinics across campus without any appointment.

Healthy Heels vending machines containing common over-the-counter medications are also accessible at Carolina Union and other locations across campus. 

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Election Preview Edition