Monday, Oct. 14, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

French Film Festival offers an experimental entry into cinema

220917_Peng-university-sinophone-literature-preview

The FedEx Global Education Center, which houses the Nelson Mandela Auditorium, is seen on Friday, Sept. 23, 2022.

On Friday night, audience members laughed, groaned and marveled at a film that refused to reassure the audience. 

They were watching "The Beast" , a science-fiction thriller directed by experimental French director Bertrand Bonello. It was the fourth film screened in the six-week Albertine Cinémathèque French Film Festival, held in the Nelson Mandela Auditorium

The festival lineup consists of six contemporary French films — screened once a week from Sept. 18 to Oct. 30 —  ranging in genre from thrillers to animated comedies. There was a special emphasis on selecting and screening films that provide commentary on contemporary social and political issues, Pascale Bouchard, festival coordinator and graduate teaching fellow in the Department of Romance Studies, said. 

“I feel like a lot of older French films don’t have the sort of diversity and relevant social discussions that I think are pertinent today and things that I’m personally interested in,” they said

Friday's screening began with an introduction of the film by Sean Matharoo, a professor in the Department of Romance Studies. Matharoo introduced some main themes, a synopsis of the film and some philosophy by Friedrich Nietzche to contemplate while watching. The film was dense and blended popular genres of historical drama, slasher and science fiction, Matharoo said.

The film spans many decades, going from a period drama sequence depicting 1904, to an “influencer” era portion set in 2014, to '60s and '70s club scenes, and more. Due to its nonlinear narrative structure and frequent alternations between timelines, "The Beast" was a confusing, yet intriguing film, Jack Weinard, a sophomore biology major, said

“I left the theater confused,” he said. “It’s going to take a while to process. It was a film that threw a lot at me, lots of themes that interface a lot with the modern world, but also through the lens of the future and the past, and they cut between timelines and cut between people a lot.”

The film stars recent "Dune: Part Two" actress Léa Seydoux who plays Gabrielle, a young woman unsatisfied by her mundane job and decides to purify her DNA, a procedure that rids her of strong emotions deemed unsuitable for a good job.

"The Beast" disrupts modern editing and narrative conventions, similar to how films of the French New Wave movement of the 1950s and '60s did. Matharoo likened the film to "Alphaville," a famous New Wave science-fiction film by Jean-Luc Godard, a pioneer of the French New Wave movement.

“The way the AI is sort of communicating with Léa Seydoux’s character reminds me a lot of "Alphaville," Matharoo said. "This sort of dystopian understanding of artificial intelligence that is designed in some way to erase emotions."

The film finds itself in a unique position, where it is both aesthetically indebted to the films of eras past, but also forges its own path with a modern, female-driven perspective on loneliness and intimacy.

After the screening was over, many attendees stayed and moved down to the bottom rows of the auditorium to further discuss the film. Students debated about the film’s ambiguous ending and dove into popular themes explored across each of the film’s various timelines. 

The festival will continue over the next two weeks. "Night of the 12th", a crime thriller, will be screened on Oct. 21. The last screening, "Lumumba: Death of the Prophet", on Oct. 30, is a political documentary about the assassination of the first prime minister of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, which Bouchard selected because of their research on the country’s Belgian-colonial period. 

Each event of the festival is designed to be an informal, inviting environment, Bouchard said.

“So it’s definitely open to everyone,” they said. “English subtitles, free snacks, free drinks. Please come, people work hard to organize it.” 

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com