Monday, Oct. 14, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC Hip Hop Ensemble puts on horror-themed show

20241005_Khue Nguyen_lifestyle-hip-hop-ensemble-10.jpg
From left to right: senior rapper K'mani Leonerio, vocalist/rapper Ayla Baker Kural and junior singer/rapper Ellie Sellers perform at Hiphop Ensemble's show "How Dare" at the Pitch in Chapel Hill, N.C. on Friday, Oct. 11, 2024.

On Friday, the UNC Hip Hop Ensemble performed at The PITCH on Franklin Street, showcasing the original songs that they have been working on this semester.

Founded in 2022, the UNC Hip Hop Ensemble is a group that performs under music professor Suzi Analogue. The ensemble consists of rappers and singers, as well as a producer and an instrumentalist. It is open to UNC alumni, staff and students, and practices every Wednesday from 6-8 p.m. in the Hill Hall Beat Lab. 

This show, titled “Who Dare,” was inspired by horror and southern gothic themes, Ayla Baker Kural, a vocalist, rapper and the group’s outreach lead, said.

20241005_Khue Nguyen_lifestyle-hip-hop-ensemble-5.jpg
Hiphop Ensemble performs at their show "How Dare" at the Pitch in Chapel Hill, N.C. on Friday, Oct. 11, 2024.

“We wanted to tell a story this semester and we wanted it to be something real, so we thought, OK, we're in the South,” she said. “There's been a lot of horror going on just in general life. How can we take inspiration from actual horror films, but also southern roots, and put on this show right around Halloween time?”

To amplify the theme, scenes from the horror movie “Us” were played in the background and bright red lights lit up the room while the group performed. Baker Kural said that for this performance the ensemble took inspiration from artists such as Doja Cat, Three 6 Mafia, Doechii and 21 Savage.

Donavan Moonie, also known by his artist name, Don Atlas, is a rapper for the group and a UNC alumnus. Moonie said that this performance was particularly impressive because it was the earliest in the semester the group had ever performed. 

Before he joined the Hip Hop Ensemble, Moonie spent much of his time in his dorm room, producing his own music. But after discovering the ensemble, he realized he could extend his skills to a larger community. 

That's the greatest thing about the community here at UNC, the hip hop community, is just collaboration,” he said. “It's less competition focused as it would usually be in other hip hop spaces.” 

Moonie and Baker Kural both said that they were most excited about performing their song “For the Hills.” During this song, the group’s singers and rappers switched roles, with the singers having rap verses and the rappers singing for parts.

Other songs the group performed included the show's opener, “Tar Heel Born” and “Sweet Carolina” — two songs that stood out to audience member Analeigh Urbina, a junior biology major. She said that she loved the performance and would want to listen to more of the group’s music.

“They were so good,” she said. “I was singing along, acting like I knew the songs.” 

The show’s opener was UNC alumnus Michael Spragley, also known by his artist name Speedy Sprag. Spragley was in the Hip Hop Ensemble while at UNC, and said that it helped him grow his skills as a rapper and beatmaker. He also said that this performance was one of the best times he has ever seen the group perform.

“Oh, it was amazing,” Spragley said. “It's probably the best one I've seen. They really had some choreography going on. Everybody was in sync, and everybody had different styles, but it came together well. And it was on theme for Halloween too.”

Moonie said that now that the show is over, the group will focus on content creation, potentially recording music in the future. Recordings of the group’s previous performances can be found on the UNC Department of Music YouTube Channel

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com