Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

LAB! Theatre puts on British dark comedy play "New Labour"

lifestyle-lab-new-labour-contrib.jpg
Photo courtesy of Aniah Stitt.

LAB! Theatre performed its first play of the semester, which ran from Saturday night to Monday night. On closing night, the cast received a standing ovation and loud cheers from the audience as the actors put their all into their final performance. 

The show, “New Labour,” is a dark political comedy that details the lives of a group of young adults in a London call center. They explore themes of alcoholism, failure, toxic relationships, workplace harassment and grief. 

Cole Forminio, a first-time director, pitched the play after a trip to the United Kingdom, where he encountered it. Forminio described the play as relatable for younger age groups as it explores work culture among various people and their personal struggles. 

The crew rehearsed for six weeks with rehearsal for five days a week, four hours a day. Forminio started by blocking — which is when actors start learning where the characters will stand and interact with the set.

Some of the actors found that Forminio’s approach of inquiring about the performers’ thoughts helped them to connect with the characters.

"I think Cole did a really good job of letting us kind of explore this scene naturally, and then later being able to, like, fine-tune it, which kind of gave us a lot of freedom to really portray the characters in a way that felt authentic," said Hadley Hayes, the student that played Liz in the play. 

For this role, actors learned to speak with a British accent. Lindsay Wheeler, who played Rob, an emotionally closed-off character, detailed the process of learning the accents. The cast decided that if it didn’t feel right they wouldn’t do it, but their accent work paid off.  

The show itself took place in the Joan H. Gillings Center for Dramatic Art in room 104, which is a classroom with raised ceilings. There were three rows of chairs spanning the width of the classroom, tall mobile stage lights at the back and at least one speaker on the floor. Wires were taped down to avoid accidents as guests entered with a programme

Before the show, attendees bantered and friends expressed how excited they were to watch the play. Forminio sat in the front row near the middle as he awaited the start of the play. Around 7:40 p.m. the classroom lights dimmed as the stage lights shined on the quaint set. This set included a call center table, a desk and a couch. There was also a corner covered with cloth so that actors were able to exit the audience's view. 

The producer, Evan Jeppson, gave a small speech. Then Forminio gave his speech and a small political background to understand the London jargon a bit better. He paused for a couple of seconds longer upon the realization that it would be his last time delivering the speech. He then took a seat. 

A silence fell over the audience as they waited moments after Forminio spoke. The long green curtains that clung to the walls of the classroom and the set were just a couple of steps forward, close enough to reach out and touch. Then through the closed classroom door burst the actors signaling the start of the play.  

The show was about two hours long with a 15-minute intermission halfway. Many laughs and gasps escaped the crowd as scenes flowed from comedic to serious. The classroom atmosphere and the closeness of it all impacted the performance. 

“In this space, it's so close, and it's so intimate, and it's so easy to see people's faces that you recognize people, and sometimes that can make you break on stage,” Wheeler said. “But also you can tell when people are really engaged. You get the opportunity to see people leaning forward and hanging off of every word that we say, which is so special.” 

The show ended touchingly as actors, designers and managers gathered together and commemorated their six weeks of hard work. A final shoutout to Forminio finalized the night. 

“I think with closing night, there's always this excitement of this is our last time doing this,” Hayes said.  “Let's leave it all out on the floor.” 

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com