Tuesday, Oct. 1, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

‘Feeling more authentic to me’: Alumni gets ready to release debut album

20240929-lifestyle-rachel-despard-album-release-contrib
Rachel Despard, shot for their new album release "The Gardener", in August. Photo by and courtesy of Mishi Mode.

On Oct. 27, UNC-Chapel Hill alumni Rachel Despard is set to release their debut album, “The Gardener.”

Despard graduated in 2020, getting a degree in music with minors in public policy and sociology. They moved to New York after graduating to pursue a career in the indie music genre. 

Despard grew up in Durham, N.C., with an early interest in making music. After learning piano at age 6 and taking singing lessons at age 10, she became a musical triple threat by age 13, when she began writing songs. 

“[Writing has] really always been for my own self-expression and kind of emotional catharsis and so, it's almost kind of like a therapeutic tool for me,” Despard said. 

Despard was able to put her songwriting skills to use during her time at UNC, as she took a production course where her song, “The Hustle,” was selected to be recorded for a class project. 

“Everyone in the class had to work on recording this song for me,” Despard said. “Which is actually crazy, in retrospect.”

Despard was also involved in Charanga Carolina — a University-based Cuban music ensemble. She credits the group’s advisor, music professor David Garcia, as one of her biggest supporters, because he helped her to thrive musically during her time at UNC. 

“I learned very early on that she had a really great, not only passion, but talent for music as a singer,” Garcia said.

Despard led Charanga Carolina in vocals for nearly 15 performances at salsa clubs, dance clubs and Durham venues. 

They performed alongside multiple other Charanga Carolina musicians, including Ben McEntire, drummer and fellow 2020 alumni. Despard and McEntire stayed very close, as they worked on Despard’s debut album together. 

“I always admired how calm Rachel was and eager to learn, and there didn't seem to be any kind of stress around something being new or unfamiliar,” McEntire said. “I think that's why she's such a great musician.” 

When Despard graduated in 2020, shortly after the pandemic began, she used the downtime to create more music. 

“I basically didn’t perform for almost two years,” Despard said. “All I could do was just to write.” 

Over those next two years, Despard learned how to produce and play guitar, adding to their lengthy musical resume. Half of their debut album was created during this time period.

Unfortunately, the pandemic forced Despard to cancel all of her upcoming shows, including one she was eager to play at Cat’s Cradle. However, Despard will return to her alma mater on Dec. 19 to play her debut album, “The Gardener.” 

Despard’s album carries themes of tending to the needs of others while neglecting their own needs, a feeling that Despard was experiencing throughout their creative journey. 

The album was created with multiple musicians including bassist, Stefan Rogers and guitarist and backing vocalist, Calista Garcia. The album was recorded in Atlanta, Georgia in a week. 

Despard released four singles to tease the album’s release: “Youth Has Never Fled Faster,” “No One Gets What They Want,” “Hermann Park” and “Pieces.” Each song represents a different stage in Despard’s journey into adulthood. 

“[Hermann Park] is kind of one of the more Americana-oriented songs,” Despard said. She wrote the single while going through a breakup and deciding to finally move away from North Carolina. 

“Youth Has Never Fled Faster” took place soon after moving to New York. The track articulates this nostalgic period for Despard, with isolated vocals, guitar, trumpet and drums throughout. 

McEntire said that “Youth Has Never Fled Faster” is a more upbeat song with a funky groove. He said that while creating the song, Despard was really open to whichever direction the song went in. 

Despard is looking forward to her upcoming shows following the release of “The Gardener,” especially her homecoming performance at Cat’s Cradle on Dec. 19. 

“Listening to it all together, I really saw how my sound was developing, you know, over the course of the album, and how I felt like I was getting closer and closer to what was feeling more authentic to me,” Despard said. 

Despard’s album will be available on all listening platforms on Oct. 27. 

@dthlifestyle | lifestyle@dailytarheel.com