Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

The Editorial Board's endorsements for the 2024 North Carolina general election

opinion-editorial-2024-endorsements.png

Photos courtesy of Rachel Hunt, Allison Riggs, Tommy Cromie, Ashlyn Rhyne, Olivia Paul, Jay'la Evans, Samantha Lewis and Adobe Stock.

With Election Day around the corner, it’s important to inform your vote for the N.C. general election — local elections are just as, if not more important than, the presidential race. The Editorial Board chose specific races to endorse based on what we felt were most relevant and significant for this voting precinct. For North Carolina, we chose: governor, lieutenant governor, attorney general, Supreme Court, 56th district of the House of Representatives and 23rd district of the Senate, as well as North Carolina’s 4th congressional district. We discussed the most prominent issues of this election season to consider in candidates’ policies, creating endorsements through candidate interviews, platforms and previous experience in an ultimate goal to endorse candidates who we believe will best serve North Carolina. We urge readers to do their own research on all of the candidates in these races before voting in this election. 

North Carolina governor

Josh Stein

In a race marred by scandals, Josh Stein is the obvious frontrunner. With polls showing a significant double-digit lead for Stein, he posits gun violence as a mental health crisis, advocates for infrastructure that anticipates future natural disasters and emphasizes the importance of prioritizing public education with taxpayer dollars — issues that are fundamental to a UNC student. His opponent, Mark Robinson, has spent his months making sexist, homophobic, transphobic and antisemitic comments. Stein presents a genuine platform with concrete ideas for the betterment of North Carolina. The Editorial Board overwhelmingly endorses Stein.

North Carolina lieutenant governor

Rachel Hunt

Rachel Hunt’s intense support of public schools, common-sense gun laws and the right to reproductive health care makes her the best candidate for lieutenant governor. She believes in putting state money toward public, rather than private schools, by increasing teacher pay and funding school lunches. Alternatively, Hal Weatherman supports “school choice” and favors putting armed resource officers in all elementary, middle and high schools across the state. Hunt is better-suited to fulfill the lieutenant governor’s role as a member of the State Board of Education and is a passionate voice for her constituents, something needed for the second-in-command.

North Carolina attorney general

Jeff Jackson

Jackson maintained transparency and prioritization of North Carolinians throughout his career in public offices, connecting with his constituents and providing relevant information on issues he encounters in Congress. He has a clear outline of policy priorities, from defending abortion rights to proposing legislation for universal background checks for purchasing guns, with an extensive background as a prosecutor. His opponent, Dan Bishop, has policies that applaud the overturning of Roe v. Wade and go against further gun laws. As a former prosecutor, member of the N.C. General Assembly and a U.S. representative for North Carolina’s 14th congressional district, Jackson is well-prepared for the attorney general’s office.

North Carolina Supreme Court

Allison Riggs

During her time on our state’s highest court, Allison Riggs operated with clarity, objectivity and perspective. Her position on civic education and expanding pro-bono services reflects her understanding of the challenges of citizens navigating complex legal systems. Jefferson Griffin, a judge on the N.C. Court of Appeals, lauds North Carolina’s strict voter ID laws and concurs that life begins at conception, an argument used in anti-abortion laws. Whereas Griffin maintains originalist, textualist judicial values seemingly grounded in conservatism, Riggs strives to rise above partisanship and petty politics.

North Carolina Senate 23rd District 

Graig Meyer

Incumbent Graig Meyer’s legislative transparency and bipartisan cooperation prove that he is the right candidate for the job. During his time in office, he has advocated for reproductive freedom, housing access and unions’ rights. Furthermore, he has aptly acknowledged the relation of the climate crisis to Hurricane Helene’s impacts in Western North Carolina. Meyer is enthusiastic about the Co-Gen Rail Transformation Project, which aims to develop pedestrian walkways, housing and green spaces. We do not express the same confidence in his opponent, Laura Pichardo, whose ideas regarding policy-making are neither proactive nor representative of her district’s day-to-day concerns. As diverse constituents, we believe we should expect a more highly-grounded understanding of political issues. Meyer's experience and progressive policies prove again he is the right candidate for the job.

North Carolina House of Representatives 56th District

Allen Buansi

Allen Buansi’s experience and vision make him the clear choice for the North Carolina House. As the incumbent representative and former Chapel Hill Town Council member, Buansi brings experience and a clear focus on expanding access to health care, making housing affordable and enhancing school safety. He aims to eliminate barriers to maternal health care, prioritizes affordable housing and gun control laws and strongly supports fully funding public schools. With his legal background and strong record on the Chapel Hill Town Council, Buansi offers a clear, actionable plan for North Carolina's future — making him the best candidate for the North Carolina House.

United States House of Representatives 4th Congressional District 

Valerie Foushee

Valerie Foushee currently serves on the Congressional Equality Caucus, emphasizes the importance of public education and advocates for a sustainable energy grid. Her opponent, Eric Blankenburg, is distinct from “MAGA” Republican candidates, focusing on governmental transparency and the government’s problematic role in the polluting energy industries. However, he supports the overturning of Roe v. Wade for state jurisdiction and expansion of “school choice” programs. At this crucial mark, Foushee prevails, but Blankenburg is a welcome reminder that decency beyond disagreement is still present in politics.