Monday, Oct. 21, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Op-ed: Voting for Josh Stein is crucial for the future of North Carolina's democracy

opinion-op-ed-default-art.png

Long before a panel of justices denied thousands of UNC-Chapel Hill students the ability to cast their ballot using their mobile One Cards, voting rights in North Carolina have been under siege. For us at UNC, this isn't just a theoretical discussion — it's deeply personal. 

I know because I was there. I was a witness in the recent lawsuit in which the Republican National Committee and North Carolina Republican Party sued the Board of Elections to prevent us from being able to use our digital One Cards as voter ID.

As students, we are often at the forefront of social change. We march, protest and organize to make our voices heard, and at no place is that more evident than UNC. But what happens when those in power try to silence us? When they attempt to restrict our access to the ballot box? In this recent case, taking away a valid form of ID was a blatant attempt to complicate and discourage voting on campus, especially for first-year and out-of-state students.

To protect our voices and our votes, we must look to leaders like Josh Stein, whose record as attorney general has consistently demonstrated his commitment to defending our voting rights. While opponents in this election cycle have sought to manipulate the process for political gain, Stein has remained steadfast in his dedication to safeguarding democracy.

In the wake of the 2020 decision in Community Success Initiative v. Moore, which restored the voting rights of thousands of North Carolinians with felony convictions, Stein worked to ensure that those affected could reenter the democratic process. This victory was not just for those individuals, but for all of us who believe in the principle that every voice deserves to be heard.

He's fought groundbreaking legal battles to protect Black voters in northeastern North Carolina from illegal gerrymandering. When Senate Bill 749 threatened early voting in our state just last month, Stein said, “Our elected officials are supposed to represent the people and protect our democracy — not damage it.”

Attorney General Stein has consistently placed the interests of the people ahead of political gamesmanship. As students, we can trust that he will continue to defend our right to participate in our democracy.

In the digital One Card case, in which I provided testimony for the defendants, it was evident that the barriers being created were more than just bureaucratic hurdles — they were intentional efforts to suppress young voters. It was an eye-opening experience that personally reinforced the importance of having leaders who understand that democracy is not a privilege for the few but a right for all.

By voting for leaders like Stein, we can ensure that North Carolina protects everyone's right to vote and that every citizen, regardless of race, gender, income or student status, has an equal say in shaping our shared future. From Oct. 17 through Election Day on Nov. 5, we have the opportunity to vote for the future of North Carolina, and for our democracy — vote with pride.

— Vijaykrishna Bajaj, Class of 2028