Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

The fall of my first year at UNC, I started every Monday morning at 4:45 a.m. Eyes half shut, I'd walk over to the Carolina Union and spend the next 2 1/2 hours on WXYC radio as DJ Dooby Doo. 

After my set finished, I'd go to The Meantime Coffee Co. for a chai. Without fail, I'd see the same familiar faces along the way. There was the guy at Alpine Bagel Cafe with his Lenovo, the girl jogging in the same red sweatshirt and the old men who gathered outside, sometimes talking, sometimes smoking. It was always the same — and I loved it. There's something grounding in the familiarity, in the simple comfort of knowing what to expect every Monday.

We've all heard it before: college is supposed to be the time for spontaneity, adventure and saying yes to every opportunity. You're told to embrace the chaos, try something new every weekend and never let a moment pass by without making the most of it. But let's be real — constantly chasing excitement can be exhausting. Somewhere along the way, this pressure to always be doing something different, something novel, starts to feel more like a burden than a thrill.

The reality is, life doesn't have to be about constant motion. We don't need to be in a perpetual state of “what's next?” to feel fulfilled. In fact, I'd argue the opposite — there's beauty, even power, in slowing down and finding comfort in routine.

Think about how much joy there is in rewatching your favorite show. You already know what's coming, but it doesn’t make it any less enjoyable. That familiar episode of “The Office” or “Gilmore Girls” isn't just about entertainment. It's about comfort, security and giving your brain a break from the relentless need to always be on. Routines, whether they're the media you consume or the daily rituals you follow, offer a kind of emotional reset. 

And let's not underestimate how meaningful these routines can be. The predictable moments in your day are the anchors that keep us steady. They offer a sense of control in a world that's often unpredictable, especially in college where everything seems to be in a constant state of flux.

In fact, it's often the mundane that holds the most meaning. Think about how good it feels to brew your favorite cup of coffee or take a familiar route to class while listening to a favorite playlist. These small acts create structure, allowing you to reclaim a sense of control in the middle of a chaotic schedule. They help you breathe, find balance and carve out space in your day that's just for you.

And it's not just the big traditions. The little routines we build for ourselves on campus are just as important. Maybe you have a favorite study spot in the library where you always go when you need to focus, or maybe you eat at the bottom of Lenoir every Thursday with classmates. These small rituals might seem insignificant, but they're the moments that create a sense of home on campus. They help us navigate the overwhelming demands of college by giving us familiar spaces and actions to rely on.

For me, it's my post-DJ set chai at Meantime, where I see the same people in the same places every week. It feels like we're all part of this shared routine that grounds us in the chaos of college life.

So, as you navigate the ups and downs of life at college, remember that it's okay to slow down. Embrace your routines, whether it's rewatching “Friends” for the tenth time or sitting in your favorite spot on campus. These moments of calm and predictability are more than just habits — they're the keys to maintaining balance and protecting your mental well-being. In a world that's constantly pushing you to move faster, sometimes the most powerful thing you can do is simply stop and find comfort in the everyday.

@dthopinion | opinion@dailytarheel.com