Sunday, Oct. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

No. 2 UNC field hockey conquers No. 9 Boston College, 4-0, on Senior Day

liu_sophie_unc_uva_fieldhock-4.jpg
UNC field players Charly Bruder and Ciana Riccardo celebrate after scoring a goal during the UNC vs UVA field hockey game on Oct. 25, 2024.

No. 2 North Carolina field hockey (14-0, ACC 7-0) overpowers No. 9 Boston College (11-5, ACC 5-2) in a 4-0 win at Karen Shelton Stadium on Sunday afternoon.

In their final home game of the season, UNC field hockey seniors starred in a hard-fought win on Senior Day. Senior back Kelly Smith’s first career goal kicked off a scoring onslaught by the Tar Heels after a slow offensive start. Senior goalkeeper Abigail Taylor recorded four saves on the day and her ninth shutout of the season to lead the Tar Heels’ defensive unit. 

A high-intensity first few minutes characterized the aggressive shot selection and defensive tactics of both teams as the game began.

Right out of the gate, the Eagles offensive unit penetrated the Tar Heels’ defense and Boston College junior midfielder Eva Kluskens fired a shot close inside, which was quickly punched out by senior goalkeeper Abigail Taylor.

A flurry of blocked shots ensued until fifth-year midfielder Katie Dixon was able to get a clean shot off, but a save by Boston College goalkeeper Charley Kramer prevented the Tar Heels from finding the back of the cage in the seventh minute.

The Tar Heels seemed disjointed offensively in the first period, but Taylor provided a formidable force against the Boston College attack, with two impressive saves in the first fifteen minutes to prevent the Eagles from striking first.

A skillful behind-the-back pass from sophomore forward Charly Bruder to senior midfielder Jasmina Smolenaars saw the Tar Heels find their offensive groove to end the first period. 

Smolenaars then tapped the ball to senior back Kelly Smith, who fired a straight-on shot into the back of the blackboard. Smith’s first goal of the season, and her career, put the Tar Heels up, 1-0.

In the 21st minute, junior forward Ryleigh Heck sped past the Boston College defense and punched in a wide open shot over the middle for her eleventh goal of the season. The Tar Heels had come alive after a lackluster first period, and led 2-0 with eight minutes remaining in the second half.

A series of penalty corners to end the second period granted the Tar Heels a few close advances, but ultimately, no points on the board. UNC led 2-0 going into the locker room at halftime.

A scoreless third period began with a powerful offensive drive by the Eagles, resulting in a shot by Boston College midfielder Peyton Hale that was saved by Kelly Smith.

A back and forth ensued, before the Tar Heels gained control of possessions thanks to a consistent offensive rhythm and a few penalty corners, the last of which saw three consecutive shot attempts by the Tar Heels each blocked by Kramer in the 44th minute.

The Tar Heels finally broke through the Eagles’ defensive line when their defensive pressure turned to offense. Heck launched a pass to Smolenaars, who struck a shot across the middle to put UNC up 3-0 with six minutes remaining.

The Tar Heels continued to attack and dominated possession, resulting in a goal by sophomore midfielder Sanne Hak to cap off the fourth period, up 4-0.

The Tar Heels head out on the road to Durham on Friday at 6 p.m. to take on Duke.

@alexdjones_
@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com