Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

No. 1 UNC field hockey wins, 3-1, against No. 20 California

11192023_richards_SPORTS-FHOCKEY-vs-Northwestern-87-2.jpg
UNC first year forward Charly Bruder (2) looks toward a teammate during the NCAA field hockey championship game against Northwestern. UNC won in penalty shootouts with a score of 3-2.

The No. 1 UNC field hockey team (8-0, 3-0 ACC) defeated No. 20 California (6-3, 0-3 ACC), 3-1, at Underhill Field in Berkeley.

Sophomore forward Charly Bruder led the way with all three Tar Heel goals, keeping the Golden Bears winless in their new conference.

UNC finished its west coast portion of the road trip unblemished, with a combined score of 6-1 against Stanford and California. The Golden Bears’ single goal was the first the Tar Heels conceded in five games.

North Carolina had the first penalty corner of the game five minutes in, after junior forward Ryleigh Heck slid into the center of the striking circle and drew the call. The play led to a setup for Bruder whose shot from the top left of the circle hit a Cal defender.

With five minutes remaining in the quarter, the Tar Heels drew three consecutive penalty corners, all of which resulted in junior midfielder Sietske Bruning shots being blocked. About a minute later, sophomore midfielder Sanne Hak came flying into the right side of the circle, barreling towards the net with a head full of steam, but her forehand shot traveled high and wide of the net.

Senior forward Lisa Slinkert also had a scoring opportunity late in the first quarter, streaking down the right side but getting met by Cal goalkeeper Tina Jolly to break up the play.

The start of the second quarter saw the Golden Bears’ first and only corner kick of the half, which was easily dismissed by the defensive slide by the Tar Heels.

Six minutes into the second quarter, Heck had a chance in front after a centering pass from Hak, but the shot attempt was sticked away. Three minutes later, Heck broke in again on the left side but her shot was kicked away by Jolly.

With six minutes remaining in the quarter, Bruder slid through the left side of the defense and ripped a quick shot that snuck inside the near post, breaking the scoreless tie. UNC kept the intensity up with Hak throwing another shot on goal just seconds later, but Jolly easily handled the play.

The Golden Bears added some offensive pressure late in the second quarter, but were unable to break through the Tar Heel defense. North Carolina took its 1-0 lead into halftime.

California came out hot in the third quarter, earning a penalty corner three minutes in. A shot from California forward Liz Klompmaker was saved by senior goalkeeper Abigail Taylor, and the rebound from California forward Morgan Kallmann firing wide.

Seven minutes into the third quarter, Bruder recorded her second goal of the game, taking her feed from the left side and spinning off a defender to rip a forehand shot that beat Jolly’s blocker, extending the Tar Heel lead to two.

With four minutes remaining in the quarter, California forward Holly Pears ripped a slap shot from the top of the circle off a corner kick pass that soared into the top left corner of the net, cutting the UNC lead to one.

Bruder had a pair of chances in the final minutes of the quarter, but Jolly made aggressive plays on both to keep it a one score game entering the final quarter. 

Heck was given the game’s only green card two minutes into the fourth quarter, but the Golden Bears could not generate anything offensively.  Heck had a scoring chance midway through the quarter, driving towards the net with a wraparound shot that rolled wide of the right post. 

In the final three minutes of the game, Klompmaker gave her best shot at late game heroics for Cal, with a fading slapshot that was rifled wide left. The Tar Heels instantly marched downfield where Bruder was set up with a wide open net, icing the game with her hattrick goal.

The Tar Heels continue their road trip this Friday when they travel to Louisville for a conference matchup kicking off at 3 pm.

@dylanstalterr

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com