Monday, Oct. 21, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

No. 1 UNC field hockey survives Old Dominion's pressure with a 3-1 win

20230820_Peng_FHockey vs. Duke
UNC senior forward Ryleigh Heck (12) chases down a ball during the exhibition field hockey match against Duke at Karen Shelton Stadium on Sunday, Aug. 20, 2023. UNC won 5-3.

The No. 1 North Carolina field hockey team (12-0, ACC 5-0) survived Old Dominion (9-5) 3-1 on Sunday afternoon at Karen Shelton Stadium to stay undefeated. 

In its first test of the season, UNC responded to increased defensive pressure and ODU's tying goal with a fourth quarter game-winner by junior forward Ryleigh Heck.

"She's the most creative player that you're going to see," head coach Erin Matson said. "She sees the space. She knows how to manipulate defenders really well. She's just a player that doesn't come around very often."

The Tar Heels dominated possession out the gate of the first quarter, quickly securing a penalty corner in the first few minutes.

After sophomore forward Charly Bruder's initial shot was blocked, UNC collected several rebounds and fired at the goal. Finally, sophomore forward Sanne Hak recovered the ball on the right baseline. Sneaking it to Bruder in front of the goal, North Carolina's leading scorer quickly connected with the backboards, putting the Tar Heels up 1-0. 

For the rest of the first half, UNC struggled to generate offensive momentum. Shots sprayed wide or right to the goalkeeper and fouls pushed the Tar Heels out of ODU's circle.  

"Erin [Matson] in the locker room is like, 'Are we expecting to win this game?'" fifth year midfielder Katie Dixon said. "And the answer is no. We can't expect to win every single game. Every game is earned. I think that kind of shook our team in the locker room."

Old Dominion earned its first penalty corner of the afternoon in the 25th minute. But as soon as the ball was inserted, sophomore back Grace Pottebaum ran out of the goal, blocking the shot before it could be fired. The Monarchs received a second chance penalty corner, but this time, senior goalkeeper Abigail Taylor laid out to stop the shot from passing the goal line. 

Two minutes later, on a fast break up the length of the field, ODU's Emily Tammaro drew defenders and Taylor out to the left of the goal before feeding Tess Jedeloo at the far post for a tip-in goal, tying the score at 1-1. 

In the second half, Old Dominion increased its pressure on North Carolina, loading up the circle with extra defenders and pressing outside of it. Even on a penalty corner opportunity in the 40th minute, UNC could not capitalize. The shot was blocked at the top of the circle. 

Only a minute into the fourth quarter, Heck guided the ball along the left baseline in ODU territory. Face-to-face with the Old Dominion goalkeeper, Heck flicked the ball up over the goalie's head and into the back of the cage. The Tar Heels took a 2-1 lead. 

"We were talking about it in the third quarter just trying to find the right timing," Heck said. "I was lucky enough to beat my defender and have the chance to attack the baseline. I feel like one of my strengths is attacking the baseline."

Then, the floodgates were opened.

By the 52nd minute, North Carolina secured a penalty corner.  Dixon stopped the ball for a wind-up Bruder rocket, which promptly hit the goal's backboards. UNC increased its advantage to 3-1. 

With the momentum flipped, the Tar Heels did not allow Old Dominion to respond, holding possession in ODU's half of the field for the remainder of regulation. 

North Carolina will return to action at Karen Shelton Stadium on Friday, Oct. 25 against No. 4 Virginia at 5 p.m.