Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

'Be like Katie': Fifth-year captain Katie Dixon sets the standard for UNC field hockey

ncaa1stroundfieldhockey.jpg
UNC senior midfielder/back Katie Dixon (14) during the first-round game of the NCAA field hockey championship against William & Mary at the Karen Shelton Stadium on Friday, Nov. 10, 2023. The Tar Heels won 6-1.

As a multi-sport athlete growing up, Katie Dixon found herself at a crossroads. 

When she entered high school, Dixon knew that she needed to pick between two sports: field hockey or soccer. 

As she started to consider higher level soccer, she began to worry about the time commitment. If she continued playing soccer, she wouldn't have the schedule to play field hockey and basketball as well.

So, Dixon chose field hockey. And what started as a choice based on time has quickly turned into an impressive college career. 

The fifth-year midfielder has served two years as captain, helped secure four national championships and four ACC championships. Along the way, Dixon has also been named to All-ACC Academic Team and received a Top Six for Service Award in 2022. And although she's only contributed one goal and two assists this season, Dixon's on-and-off field presence sets the standard for what the field hockey team should be.

Dixon has shown what it means to be a Tar Heel throughout her time on the field hockey team, according to head coach Erin Matson. She is completely devoted to the program and gives 100 percent all of the time. Her deep-rooted faith and positivity has inspired her coaches and teammates. 

“She embodies everything that her team is, and everything that Carolina is,” fifth-year back Dorrit Eisenbeis said.

Before her arrival at North Carolina, Dixon’s field hockey career suddenly came to a halt when she tore her ACL during her junior year at Cary Christian School — around 30 minutes from UNC. 

Dixon found that the injury not only snapped her out of her autopilot mindset, but restored and strengthened her faith in Christ.

Prior to her injury, Dixon was taking field hockey for granted. She was just going through the motions every day.

So, the midfielder sat on the sideline for a year and learned to appreciate a sport that had become second-nature. Dixon recognized that not everyone has the opportunity to play field hockey at such a high-level. 

“I’m so glad that happened because I was able to reflect on, ‘Wow, every time I step on the field it’s an opportunity to glorify God,'” Dixon said. "'Every moment is a gift.'"

And during that year, Dixon also began to consider her purpose outside of the sport.  

Now, she hosts weekly team Bible studies and serves her community even with a full-time class and field hockey schedule. 

This past semester, Dixon became involved with TABLE, a nonprofit founded in 2008 that works to deliver quality food to children all around Orange County.

“It’s kind of inspiring for other people to see that you can do more than just be a good player," Eisenbeis said.

Her consistency, tireless work ethic and purpose-driven mindset made her the optimal leader for UNC field hockey in her senior year, pushing the coaching staff to nudge her to return for a fifth and final season. 

“With Katie, it wasn't just to ‘Come and be a part of it,’ and ‘Let's have some fun.'" Matson said. "It was, ‘Hey, you can lead this team again.’ And, in her mind, that's a dream come true."

Even with the opportunity to play for the U.S. Field Hockey National Team, Dixon selflessly accepted the challenge to help lead the 2024 UNC squad.

“I really feel like I’ve built a family and a home here, and I think that’s what makes it so easy to return to the Carolina family,” Dixon said.

With a leadership style that mainly involves optimism, encouragement and leading by example, Dixon realized that to become a well-rounded captain, she must be firm and direct in vocalizing feedback.

“When someone’s not up to our standard and doing things they shouldn’t, I need to go out there," Dixon said. "As a team, we need to hold each other accountable, and as a captain, I need to do that more."

Eisenbeis recalled her teammate being scared to send a text in the team group chat during her first year. But now, Dixon is able to enforce accountability daily, as she has grown immensely in her leadership capability.

When Dixon leaves the UNC field hockey program, she'll exit with a legacy that will forever be commemorated as exemplifying the standard.

If you ask Matson which core value of UNC field hockey Dixon showcases the most, she’ll say all of them. Eisenbeis shares the same sentiment.

“I feel like it's just kind of her kindness, and genuine caring for everyone has seeped into our team," Eisenbeis said. "And everyone is like, 'Oh, we should be like Katie.'”

@alexdjones_

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com