Friday, Oct. 11, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

No. 1 UNC field hockey survives Louisville, 2-1, off a late goal by Sanne Hak

11172023_richards_SPORTS-FHOCKEY-vs-UVA-3.jpg
UNC first-year midfielder/forward Sanne Hak (5) eyes an opponent in the Friday, Nov. 17, 2023, game against Virginia in Karen Shelton Stadium. UNC won with a score of 2-0.

No. 1 North Carolina field hockey (9-0, ACC 4-0) survived Louisville (5-8, ACC 1-4) with a 2-1 win on Friday at Trager Stadium.

The Tar Heels led the game with intensity, pressing high on the field and leaving the Cardinals scrambling after the North Carolina offense. 

In the 12th minute of the first period, junior midfielder Molly Catchpole scored her second goal of the season for the Tar Heels one minute after subbing in. Junior midfielder Sietske Brüning assisted the goal.  

“Molly works so hard, she asks all of the right questions," head coach Erin Matson said. "She's constantly doing extra work and watching extra film, and she wants it really badly. So, to see her be rewarded with that not only makes us feel really happy for her, but also, again, it's exactly what the team needs right now.”

UNC pressured for a second goal as the Tar Heels continued their high press, spending most of their time in Louisville’s half. Junior forward Ryleigh Heck came close with a shot, but the ball hit off the far right post. 

Despite North Carolina's intensity, Louisville bit back with a goal from the top of the circle from sophomore forward Chloe Plumb, her fourth for the season. 

UNC attempted to regroup and earned back-to-back penalty corners in the last few minutes of the first half, but the Tar Heels failed to capitalize. Senior back Kelly Smith earned her first yellow card of the season in the 27th minute for tripping, which kept her out for the remainder of the second period. The Cardinals did not capitalize on their corner opportunity from the foul. 

Despite an energetic start, North Carolina entered halftime tied 1-1 with Louisville. 

“I think that's been something we've been kind of battling with all season, and we know our we're our biggest enemies,” Matson said.

The Cardinals came out of the break strong. On the offense, Louisville forced a penalty corner within the first two minutes, and on the defense, sophomore goalkeeper Emily Young saved everything coming her way.  

North Carolina continued to knock on the door. Heck had another chance that went wide, closing out the third period with a score of 1-1. 

With just seven minutes to go in regulation, the Tar Heels rallied. 

Sophomore midfielder Sanne Hak slid the ball between Young’s legs, marking her fourth goal for the season and the game-winning goal for UNC. This was the final push North Carolina needed to survive. 

“Sanne’s one of the most underrated players on the field every single game,” Matson said.

North Carolina returns to action on Sunday at noon against Appalachian State in Boone, N.C.

@SofiaSzostczuk

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com