Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

No. 1 UNC field hockey routes Wake Forest, 7-0

20240822_Soukthavone_wf-scrimmage-field-hockey
UNC first-year forward/midfielder Melea Weber (3) defends the ball in the field hockey scrimmage game against Wake Forest at Karen Shelton Stadium on Thursday, Aug. 22, 2024.

The No. 1 North Carolina field hockey team (11-0, ACC 5-0) defeated the Wake Forest Demon Deacons (5-8, ACC 1-4), 7-0,  at Karen Shelton Stadium on Friday night. 

The Tar Heels wasted no time to score, finding the back of Wake Forest’s net after playing for just over one minute. Graduate forward Pleun Lammers passed inside to junior forward Ryleigh Heck, who scooped the ball up with a spinning motion to propel it past the goalkeeper. 

After one penalty corner went unfruitful, the Tar Heels made their next one count. Sophomore forward Charly Bruder capitalized off of the insert from Lammers and assist from senior back Kelly Smith. 

Out of the four penalty corner opportunities in the first quarter, UNC capitalized on one of them, resulting in a 2-0 lead entering the second quarter. 

“We always talk about a strong start,” head coach Erin Matson said. “That’s literally the definition of it.”

After dominating possession throughout the second quarter, UNC scored 11 minutes in off of a pass deflection and assist from junior back Sietske Brüning. Ready, Bruder propelled the ball past the defenders. 

Throughout the first half, North Carolina only allowed one shot and went into halftime with a 3-0 lead. 

Five minutes into the second half, Wake Forest was awarded to back-to-back penalty corners. This was no problem for Smith, who deflected both shots and caused them to fall out-of-bounds. 

After deflecting yet another pass between the Demon Deacons, UNC raced down the field for a fast break. Sophomore forward Sanne Hak, surrounded by defenders, passed inside to senior forward Kennedy Cliggett who tapped the ball into the back of the net. 

“Not every goal has to be the beautiful, top-right corner,” Cligget said. “A goal is a goal if it goes over the line.”

On UNC’s next possession, senior midfielder Jasmina Smolenaars found senior forward Lisa Slinkert, who found the back of the net with a no-look, behind-the-back pass. 

Going into the final quarter, UNC led 5-0. 

With six minutes left in the game, a Wake Forest penalty allowed for UNC to take a penalty stroke. Hak took a swing, instantly propelling the ball over the goalkeeper’s head and into the net. 

In the final three minutes of the game, another penalty corner opportunity gave UNC the 7-0 lead. The insert from senior back Ciana Riccardo allowed for Brüning to score a goal of her own. 

“The intensity this year. Everybody wants it,” Bruder said. “Coming off a win last year, we weren’t satisfied and we want to keep doing it.”

The Tar Heels will play again when they take on Old Dominion on Sunday at Karen Shelton Stadium. Game is set to start at 1 p.m.

@aplancaster_

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com