Saturday, Oct. 12, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC football falls to Georgia Tech, 41-34, after giving up late-game touchdown

gray_20241012_FB.v.GT  .jpg
UNC junior running back Omario Hampton (28) runs the ball downfield during the football game against Georgia Tech on Saturday, Oct. 12, 2024, in Kenan Stadium

UNC football (3-4, ACC 0-3) fell, 41-34, to Georgia Tech (5-2, ACC 3-2) on Saturday in Kenan Stadium, marking North Carolina's fourth straight loss this season. The Tar Heels have not beaten the Yellow Jackets since 2019.

When the game was on the line, the defense could not make a final stop to send UNC into overtime. North Carolina allowed a 68-yard rush by Jamal Haynes for the game-winning touchdown with 16 seconds remaining. 

Putting the UNC offense on his back, junior running back Omarion Hampton rushed for 137 of North Carolina's 201 total rushing yards, but it wasn't enough to keep the Tar Heels alive.

"It's like Duke and Pittsburgh, we said they're all coming down to a play," head coach Mack Brown said. "There's a thin line between winning and losing. This team's had a load put on them, so what we've got to do is just keep getting better."

In the first quarter, following steady progress down the field in UNC's opening drive, graduate quarterback Jacolby Criswell was blitzed in the pocket and sacked on third and ten. Criswell fumbled the ball, only to be recovered by Georgia Tech at the North Carolina 38-yard line. 

On the corresponding drive, the Yellow Jackets stormed toward the end zone — capped off by GT running back Chad Alexander's rushing touchdown with six minutes remaining in the first quarter. 

With three and a half minutes to go in the period, Criswell, while facing pressure, launched a pass — his career longest completion — to the middle of the field for graduate wide receiver J.J. Jones at the Georgia Tech 25-yard line. After a pass interference penalty and a rush from Hampton pushed the Tar Heels further into the red zone, UNC got on the board with a quarterback keep for a touchdown.

After tying 7-7 in the first quarter, the Tar Heels boasted their goal-line defense with pass-breakups in front of the end zone and tackles behind the line scrimmage, holding the Yellow Jackets to a field goal in the opening minutes of the second period. Georgia Tech took a 10-7 lead.

Immediately after the two minute warning, King found a gap in the line and took off for a 20-yard rush into the end zone, pushing GT ahead 17-7. 

The Tar Heels responded, with Hampton sprinting down the North Carolina sideline for a gain of 71 yards — the longest rush of his career — to the Georgia Tech four-yard line. On third and goal with four yards to go, Criswell connected with Jones in the back of the end zone with 34 seconds on the clock, decreasing the deficit to 17-14. 

However, the UNC defense stumbled on the next drive, allowing the Yellow Jackets to storm down the field in 31 seconds for a 29-yard field goal. 

The Tar Heels exited the field at halftime down 20-14. 

After North Carolina turned the ball over on downs at the beginning of the third quarter, Georgia Tech broke into the end zone once again off a disguised seven-yard rush by King, increasing its lead to 27-14 in just eight plays. 

Unable to break into the red zone after eight plays, UNC sent graduate placekicker Noah Burnette out to knock down a 50-yard field goal, decreasing GT's lead to 27-17. Then, following Georgia Tech's three-and-out, graduate defensive back Alijah Huzzie dodged tackles and sprinted into the end zone for a 69-yard punt return, bringing the score within three at the end of the third quarter. 

The Yellow Jackets did not slow down, spinning into the end zone after 10 plays in the first five minutes of the final quarter. On the next snap, the Tar Heels fumbled the ball at the UNC 38-yard line, but held Georgia Tech to a field goal attempt, which veered wide. 

After Criswell converted on a crucial fourth and six at the UNC 36-yard line, North Carolina built momentum and pushed Criswell into the end zone on fourth and goal at the one. With three and a half minutes remaining in regulation, Georgia Tech only led 34-31. 

With the game on the line and two minutes left on the clock, the North Carolina defense stepped up, forcing a Georgia Tech three-and-out. Senior defense back Antavious "Stick" Lane and senior linebacker Power Echols double-teamed GT's David Shanahan on third and six, paving the way for UNC's offense to take the field once more. 

Criswell earned the Tar Heels two first downs with his rushing, pushing North Carolina toward the red zone. However, back-to-back incomplete passes forced UNC to attempt a 26-yard field goal. Burnette knocked it down with ease, tying the game. 

Then, after only two plays, Georgia Tech rushed down the field, scoring the game-winning touchdown within 28 seconds.

The offense had no time to answer.   

After a bye week, North Carolina will return to action on Oct. 26 against Virginia in Charlottesville.

@carolinewills03

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com