Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC football's failed fourth down attempts against Pitt lead to third consecutive loss

1005_Patterson_Pitt_Selects13.jpg
UNC junior running back Omarion Hampton (28) runs with the ball during the football game against Pitt on Saturday, Oct. 5, 2024, in Kenan Stadium. UNC lost 34-24.

Omarion Hampton attempted to rush the ball up the middle on fourth-and-one at Pitt's 8-yard line. 

Nine minutes to go and down by a single touchdown, the Tar Heels searched for the equalizer — for a chance to stay in the game. But pushed back by the Panthers' entire defensive line, the junior running back never made it over the mark. Unsuccessful, again. 

Against Pitt on Saturday, North Carolina went two-for-six on fourth down attempts. Two of the failed conversions were in the red zone. Those missed opportunities might have changed the outcome in UNC’s eventual 34-24 loss to the Panthers, but instead, the Tar Heels suffered their third-straight loss.North Carolina is 0-2 in the ACC for the first time since 2017. 

Head coach Mack Brown, along with the rest of the coaching staff, made the call on Thursday: staying on the field for fourth down was the best call as opposed to kicking the field goal. UNC needed the points when battling an offense like Pitt’s, which ranks second in the ACC. He credited game analytics, citing that the metrics will usually say to risk it. 

Paul-Pitt-Mack-Brown-1.JPG

Head Coach Mack Brown walks off the field during the football game against Pitt on Saturday, Oct. 5, 2024, in Kenan Stadium. UNC lost 34-24.

“You’ve got a better chance to make it three yards than you do to stop ‘em,” Brown said. 

Despite what it may sound like, this game plan did not stem from a lack of confidence in the defense, according to Brown. Rather, the skill of redshirt first-year quarterback Eli Holstein. He completed 25 of his 42 passing attempts against UNC for a total of 381 passing yards

According to graduate defensive back Alijah Huzzie, Pitt was smart in using Holstein. He knew how to run, when to get out of the pocket and what to do when options were looking thin. 

“That was the biggest thing for him — using his legs and making a play when there was nothing to make,” Huzzie said. 

The Tar Heels didn't find the same success offensively.

After completing a fourth down conversation in the first quarter, North Carolina looked to stretch its success. 

And during UNC's opening drive in the second quarter on fourth-and-two at Pitt's 9-yard line, Criswell looked to pass to senior tight end Bryson Nesbit to move the chains. But the throw went too far to the left and out of Nesbit's reach. Incomplete. 

The turnover capped off a nine-minute, 19-play drive where UNC moved the ball 81 yards downfield. 

The failed fourth-and-two attempt mirrored North Carolina's last offensive play of the game. 

After making it to Pitt's 31-yard line with the score 34-24 and less than two minutes left, North Carolina worked to generate some last-minute momentum. 

With two yards needed to move the chains, Criswell was sacked by Pitt's Kyle Louis for a loss of 12 yards. Turnover on downs. Another failed conversion. Game over.

1005_Patterson_Pitt_Selects1.jpg
UNC graduate student quarterback Jacolby Criswell (12) get tackled during the football game against Pitt on Saturday, Oct. 5, 2024, in Kenan Stadium. UNC lost 34-24.

Criswell called the last failed fourth down attempt devastating. After missing the first one, he felt like the offensive unit didn’t make the necessary changes to be able to complete another attempt, especially one that could have possibly changed the game. 

When it comes down to it, field goals are worth less points than touchdowns. 

UNC just didn’t score enough of them. 

“We have to realize, when we are in a position like that," Criswell said, "We have to give it all we have.”

@aplancaster_