Thursday, Oct. 10, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Preview: UNC football looks to end three-game losing skid against Georgia Tech

1005_Patterson_Pitt_Selects7.jpg
UNC senior linebacker Power Echols (23) looks for the ball during the football game against Pitt on Saturday, Oct. 5, 2024, in Kenan Stadium. UNC lost 34-24.

Heading into the fourth quarter tied 24-24 against an undefeated Pitt team, UNC continued its trend of failing to close out a game.

North Carolina conceded 10 points in the fourth quarter and were held scoreless, suffering a 34-24 loss — their third straight.  

With their backs against the wall, the Tar Heels are looking to rebound against a 4-2 Georgia Tech team on Saturday at Kenan Stadium.   

Here are three things to watch for heading into Saturday’s game:

Third and fourth-down conversions

Converting on third and fourth down has been an issue for UNC all season. The Tar Heels rank tenth in the ACC on third down conversions, converting on just 39.5 percent of attempts. They are even worse on fourth down, converting only 36.4 percent of the time, second worst in the ACC.  

Head coach Mack Brown cited third and fourth down conversions as a key factor in the outcome of the game.  

“Really it came down to third and fourth downs, we were seven of 21," Brown said. "And we’ve got to do better in that area."

While Georgia Tech poses a strong defensive challenge for the Tar Heels, the Yellow Jackets struggle to stop opposing teams in late down scenarios. Georgia Tech ranks in the middle of the pack on third down defense, allowing opponents to convert on 32.4 percent of opportunities.  

Fourth down defense is where the Yellow Jackets particularly struggle. They allow opponents to convert 69.2 percent of the time, fourth worst in the ACC.  

Despite last week's struggles, Brown still plans to stay aggressive and wants to continue to go for it on fourth downs.  

“I grew up as an offensive coordinator, so I want to go for every one of them,” Brown said. “I want to score touchdowns, I don’t want to kick field goals.” 

Second half struggles 

After UNC allowed 21 unanswered points in the second half in the loss at Duke, the Tar Heels gave up 10 unanswered points in the fourth quarter against Pitt.  

“We have been outscored in the second half the last two weeks," Brown said. "And that’s not usually who we are."

If the Tar Heels want to have a chance at beating the Yellow Jackets, they must improve their second half play, specifically in the fourth quarter. North Carolina ranks 97th in the nation in fourth quarter points per game, averaging just five.

On the other side, Georgia Tech boasts a stout fourth quarter defense, ranking 32nd in points allowed per game in the fourth quarter. 

“At the end of the day, to be good on offense, consistency is the most important thing,” offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey said. “Whether you score in the first or the fourth, we are not doing that right now and that's keeping us from really being the best offense we can be.” 

If UNC continues its trend of struggling in the second half, it will have a difficult time beating the Yellow Jackets.  

"Every game has come down to a fourth quarter game," graduate quarterback Jacolby Criswell said. "And so you just have to play all quarters when it comes to Georgia Tech."

Red zone mishaps

The Tar Heels have struggled in the red zone this season, including in the loss to Pitt. On fourth down early in the final quarter and down by seven, UNC's junior running back Omarion Hampton was stopped on Pitt's 9-yard line on fourth-and-one. 

“We were two of five in touchdowns in the red zone," Brown said. "And they were four of six."

North Carolina has allowed 14 red zone touchdowns this season, the fourth most in the ACC.  

UNC's red zone defense will have its hands full with a Yellow Jacket offense that has scored 17 red zone touchdowns, which ranks fourth in the ACC.  

Limiting Georgia Tech’s high powered red zone offense may be the key to getting back in the win column for the Tar Heels. 

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com