Saturday, Oct. 26, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC football defeats Virginia, 41-14, snaps four-game losing streak

20241026_Thiessen_Football-19.jpg
UNC junior running back Omarion Hampton (28) is tackled during UNC's game against UVA on Oct. 26, 2024 at Scott Stadium.

The North Carolina football team (4-4, 1-3 ACC) defeated the Virginia Cavaliers (4-4, 2-3 ACC), 41-14, on Saturday afternoon at Scott Stadium. 

Anchored by a defense that completed ten sacks – the most since 2000 – and a 128 yard, two touchdown, performance from graduate wide receiver JJ Jones, the Tar Heels ended their four-game losing streak with a decisive win. 

“The team that's in this locker room is better than the one that everybody sees," head coach Mack Brown said. "And that's just that's not the way this is supposed to work.” 

UNC’s first possession went three-and-out. Quick completions from graduate quarterback Jacolby Criswell to graduate receiver Nate McCollum were not enough to advance the Tar Heels downfield. 

A sack from graduate defensive Alijah Huzzie inhibited UVA’s progress after UNC allowed a punt return for 24 yards. Still, UVA sophomore quarterback Anthony Colandrea completed a pass to put the Cavaliers at the 1-yardline. After a high snap that cost UVA 11 yards and two incomplete passes from Colandrea, UVA capitalized on a 30-yard field goal opportunity. 

On their next possession, UNC gained two first downs to bring them into UVA territory. A holding penalty moved North Carolina back ten yards, but a 19-year scramble from Criswell allowed UNC to get the first down on the following possession. 

Despite being rushed by the defense, Criswell completed a pass to Jones. He rushed 37 yards into the endzone for UNC’s first score, tallying a 7-3 lead. 

The UNC defense shone on the next UVA possession, sacking Colandrea twice. Their short kick left UNC to start on the Cavaliers' 47-yard line. 

Junior running back Omarion Hampton then gained yardage on three consecutive pitches, eventually completing the fourth down. After McCollum was taken down for nine yards and Criswell’s passes went incomplete, UNC was forced to punt. 

On their first drive of the second quarter, a 24-yard pass from Criswell to McCollum brought North Carolina to UVA’s 26-yard line. The offense struggled to find a connection as graduate kicker Noah Burnette completed the 30-yard field goal. 

UVA’s next drive – which included a fumble recovery, UNC holding penalty, an 11-yard Colandera first down rush and a 34 yard completion – resulted in another field goal and a score of 10-6. 

A 15-yard completion from Criswell to Hampton, plus another 15 yards due to a UVA penalty, advanced UNC to the 44-yard line. Jones caught Criswell’s next pass and evaded the defense with a spin and a 25-yard gain. With 93 seconds left in the half, Hampton rushed into the end zone for the touchdown. 

Starting with one minute on the clock until halftime, short advances charged UNC down the field. With nine seconds remaining, Criswell found Jones in the end zone for a 31-yard,  high-flying touchdown.

“Honestly, I was just trying to go out there and make a play for my team,” Jones said. 

UNC held a 24-6 lead at halftime.  

Virginia’s first drive of the half was cut short by an interception from graduate rush Kaimon Rucker. Hampton then rushed into the end zone off the pass from Criswell, extending the lead to 31-6. 

UVA’s next possession fell fruitless, and UNC immediately gained yards off of a 31-yard Jones rush and a 17-yard completion from sophomore wide receiver Chris Culliver. Unable to recover from a holding penalty, Burnette’s 51-yard field goal attempt went wide left.

Just when UVA’s offense seemed to have a spark – completing a 18-yard pass to place the Cavaliers at UNC’s 16 – graduate defensive lineman Jahvaree Ritzie took it right back. He batted, then intercepted Colandrea’s pass and ran 84 yards to complete the pick-six, racking up the score to 38-6. 

“I just saw the ball in the air. I just said, ‘I got gloves on. Let me make something happen,’” Ritzie said. 

Still, UVA had more fight to give. Cavalier QB Tony Muskett went deep, finding an open JR Wilson who completed the 68-yard touchdown. Virginia's two-point attempt was good, bringing the score to 38-14. 

UNC’s next possession ended in another Burnette field goal. 

UNC took a knee in the final 30 seconds to finish out its victory 41-14. 

The Tar Heels will travel to Tallahassee, Fla., for next Saturday's game against Florida State. 

@aplancaster_

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com