Sunday, Oct. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Receiver J.J. Jones pushes UNC to win over Virginia fueled by doubts, 'something bigger'

UVA_HALF-SELECTS-1.jpg
UNC wide reciever J.J. Jones (5) carries the ball towards the end zone during the football game against Virginia at Scott Stadium on Saturday, Oct. 26, 2024.

CHARLOTESVILLE, Va. — J.J. Jones saw more than just an opportunity to score in the final seconds of the first half. 

With the ball flying toward him, the graduate wide receiver used the touchdown as an act of defiance. He saw the hate online and the comments questioning his talent. This was the chance to prove them all wrong.

At UVA's 31-yard-line, graduate quarterback Jacolby Criswell threw to Jones. In the white-and-orange colored end zone, the receiver stumbled backward through pressure, catching the ball in the process. Jones put the Tar Heels up 24-6 going into halftime. 

During Saturday's match against Virginia in Charlottesville, Jones racked up 129 yards over five carries, pushing UNC to a 41-14 victory over the Cavaliers. The game put the Tar Heels back in the win column after losing four straight. His two touchdowns against UVA marked the first time he has ever tallied multiple in one game. 

20241026_Thiessen_Football-18.jpg
UNC graduate wide receiver J.J. Jones (5) is tackled during UNC's game against UVA on Oct. 26, 2024 at Scott Stadium.

In the last stretch of what could be his final season of college football, Jones wants to show the world that he is a "good player," despite what the online rumblings may say. When asked about what people were saying, Jones said he couldn't repeat the messages on camera. 

Criswell made Jones a promise. 

“I told JJ, as we're moving forward, I was like, 'I'm giving you a chance,'” Criswell said. 

Cleary, the increased opportunities worked against Virginia. 

Jones’ first touchdown was a throwback to a move he hasn’t completed since high school. Coming off of a catch and a screen, he ran 37 yards to the house for his longest rush of the day following pressure from UVA defenders.

Even though offensive production has been a sore spot for UNC this year, with the Tar Heels struggling to solidify a quarterback, head coach Mack Brown said it is just the newness of it all. As North Carolina becomes more steady, players can really begin to show their strengths.

“We've had inconsistency at receiver because we've been inconsistent as an offense,” Brown said. 

Heading into the matchup against Virginia and with the offense possessing more of a routine, Jones decided he wanted to stop letting his team down. 

Still, even with the career-best performance, Jones feels like he could have done more. 

“I mean, that's pretty cool, but I feel like there was still a lot of stuff I could have done out there today to help my team out even more and make even more plays,” Jones said. 

After recording a season-high in receiving yards, he still wants to be quicker getting to the end zone. 

While Jones wants to do more, he is propelled because he is playing for more. As he told the rest of his offensive unit, it's about something bigger than himself following the loss of a friend and teammate. 

“The rest of the season for me is for Tylee [Craft],” Jones said, "And he's a big factor in what I did today."

Jones takes Craft’s motto of "keep swinging" to heart. It’s what he reminded his team during the game. 

Jones also made it his mission to play until the finish. This is something that UNC has struggled with this season, after dropping a 20 point lead to Duke in the second half and losing in the last minute to Georgia Tech. But it was different on Saturday. 

Although this win comes at a pivotal time in UNC’s season, and when the players need it the most, Jones is turning his focus to defeating the next opponent. He's figuring out more ways he can prove the hate comments wrong. 

But, for now, he can revel in the joy he found against Virginia. 

“Today,” Jones said, “I just played freely.” 

@aplancaster_