Sunday, Oct. 6, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

G Day hosts first-ever tailgate for people with and without disabilities

20240928_Soukthavone_sports-g-day-nonprofit-tailgate-feature
G Day members and volunteers of the Carolina community gather together for a group photo on Friday, Sept. 27, 2024 at Holy Trinity Luthern Church. The G Day fosters a community that support neuro and physically diverse individuals. With the support of peers, they attend sporting and community events.

On a Friday evening before the UNC women's soccer game against Virginia, the first-ever G Day tailgate brought together individuals with and without disabilities for a celebration of inclusivity. 

More than burgers and cornhole, this event marked the launch of G Day, a new initiative co-founded by recent UNC graduate Braden Wilkinson, aimed at forming connections and building community for people with differing abilities. G Day plans to host events such as tailgates, dinners, trips to festivals and more in the upcoming months. 

Moved indoors because of rain, dozens of people gathered inside of Holy Trinity Lutheran Church on Sept. 27. Some played games, while others clustered around folding tables and crafted colorful handmade signs for the soccer game. 

G Day members walk from Holy Trinity Luthern Church to the Carmichael Arena on Friday, Sept. 27, 2024. Due to weather conditions, plans were rearranged from attending the women's soccer game against Univeristy of Virginia to attending the volleyball game against Syracuse University.

Afterward, they headed toward Dorrance Field. For G Day, the tailgate wasn't just about celebrating a game — it was about fostering genuine relationships and creating a space where everyone, regardless of ability, could thrive. 

“The games are interesting because they allow everyone to be themselves,” Wilkinson said. “I think a lot of times people with disabilities are kind of told to tone it down or be quiet or whatever. But when you're at a game, you're encouraged to get up and dance and have fun and be loud and be yourself. It allows for everyone to do exactly that.”

The roots of G Day trace back to Wilkinson's senior year at UNC, where he lived at The G House, an inclusive housing community that offers a unique living arrangement for those with and without disabilities.

He bonded with one of his roommates, Elianna Horner, an individual with cerebral palsy, over UNC basketball. Together, they attended 13 games last season, cheering on the floor. Eric Levin, co-founder of G Day and father of another G House resident, Gunnar, was inspired by these experiences and wanted to make them accessible to more people. 

So, G Day was born.

The organization's mission is to offer VIP-style experiences to individuals with disabilities. 

It also seeks to address North Carolina's Direct Support Professional shortage by recruiting students and young adults to engage in this critical field. DSPs are individuals who provide aid, varying from daily living skills to transportation, to people with disabilities. 

G Day members await a Carolina win as the volleyball team fights for the last two winning points in the third set against Syracuse on Friday, Sept. 27, 2024.

“We thought a fun way to attract people, especially UNC students, would be to invite them to these events and get to experience what it's like to go to a dinner and a game and realize that they could be getting paid for this,” Wilkinson said.

Mary Kathryn “MK” Zinn, an active member of the organization, said it embodies greatness and inclusivity. 

“What I see in the amazing, inspiring G Day is about getting to find a place that is people coming in a huge group,” Zinn said. “I have never felt more lucky.”

Zinn added that the point is to show people how gifted they all are.

“G Day gives me light, it is all about light turning on,” Zinn said

Wilkinson said the organization focuses on promoting a communal, organic atmosphere, rather than creating artificial pairings between individuals with and without disabilities.

“It was so much fun, and all the other people were there having so much fun,” Horner said. “I felt a part of the G Day team.”

And it's just getting started. The organization plans to host more events in the coming months, with outings to the N.C. State Fair already on the calendar. And as Wilkinson envisions, the initiative will continue to grow alongside The G House. 

For now, the focus remains on creating opportunities for connection through shared experiences, whether it's at a game, a tailgate or a community event. G Day doesn't just offer the chance to make memories, but it is also a reminder of the power of inclusion. 

“We all have spirit,” Zinn said. “We both deserve to create more things together.”

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com