Wednesday, Oct. 16, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

No. 9 UNC men's basketball defeats Memphis, 84-76, in exhibition game

20240305_Skvoretz_UNC-MBBALL-Notre-Dame-206.jpg
UNC sophomore guard Seth Trimble (7) shoots a short-range jumper during the men’s basketball game against Notre Dame in the Dean E. Smith Center on Tuesday, March 5, 2024. UNC won 84-51.

The No. 7 UNC men’s basketball team defeated Memphis, 84-76, in the Hoops for St. Jude Tip Off Classic exhibition game.

Junior guard Seth Trimble scored a game-high 33 points, pushing the Tar Heels to a victory after being down at the half. Trimble also went 8-8 from the free throw line.

In the off-season, the Tar Heels have been focused on one thing more than anything else: pace. That could be seen as early as the opening tip-off. Memphis senior center Dain Dainja opened the scoring with a turnaround jumper in the low post.

Immediately after, UNC inbounded the ball, sprinting down the floor before throwing a lob to junior forward Jalen Washington, slamming it down to equalize. Junior guard Seth Trimble extended the Tar Heels lead by getting back-to-back baskets, making the score 7-2.  

UNC struggled with perimeter shooting early in the first half, starting the game 0-7 from beyond the arc.  

Halfway through the second quarter, senior guard Tyrese Hunter caught fire, draining two mid-range jumpers and a 3-pointer to extend Memphis’s lead 29-19. Trimble scored a layup to start a six-point Tar Heel run, making the score 25-29.

UNC’s increased pace damaged its possession time. The Tar Heels turned the ball over eight items in the first half. They could not close the gap, ending the first half down 39-36.

Despite this, sophomore guard Elliot Cadeau found his rhythm in this fast-paced offensive system. With his quick first step, he drew in defenders and passed the ball out to open shooters and cutters, creating easy looks for his teammates. Cadeau led all players in assists with seven in the first half. 

After the halftime break, the Tar Heels came out swinging. With a quick three-pointer to equalize from Washington and a fast break dunk from Trimble, UNC took a 41-40 lead. 

Riding the momentum from the first half, Cadeau continued to thrive. Early in the second half, he sank a deep three to demonstrate his new, improved 3-point shot, giving the Tar Heels a lead at 46-42. 

Memphis’s offense was stifled during the second half.

The Tigers had 10 turnovers in 11 minutes of play. With their offense stopped, the Tar Heels seized a 72-58 lead before Memphis head coach Penny Hardaway called a timeout.

Despite the lead, Memphis secured back-to-back steals from Dainja and first-year guard Jared Harris, cutting the lead down to 76-63.

Late in the second half, the Tigers went on a 7-0 run, bringing the score to 76-65.

Trimble rallied his team before drawing a foul to ice the game, slamming the door on Memphis and securing UNC’s first win 84-76.

The Tar Heels will host Johnson C. Smith University at the Dean E. Smith Center on Sunday, October 27th, at 2:00 PM.

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com