Wednesday, Oct. 9, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Tate Johnson's first career goal lights spark in UNC men's soccer's 3-0 win over CofC

20241008_Nock_men'ssoccervcollegeofcharlesto20241008_Nock_men'ssoccervcollegeofcharlesto20241008_Nock_men'ssoccervcollegeofcharlesto-8-2.jpg
UNC freshman Tate Johnson (2) dribbles the ball during the men’s soccer game against the College of Charleston at Dorrance Field on Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2024. The Tar Heels won 3-0.

When left back Tate Johnson scored his first career goal at UNC on Tuesday, the 19-year-old struggled to remember how it happened. 

Johnson tried his best to recall who crossed the ball toward the back post for him to finish with a half volley into the bottom corner, but the first-year did not know who notched the assist. 

“I think it was Bertil or Luke who put in a good ball,” Johnson said before being interrupted. 

“It was me,” senior midfielder Andrew Czech said in-between two fake coughs. 

“Czech put in a good ball,” Johnson said to correct himself. “[I was] lucky to be in a good spot and put a good shot on it.” 

Whether or not he knew who assisted him, or even where he was in the moment, Johnson's goal in the opening 10 minutes of play sparked a 3-0 victory over the College of Charleston on Tuesday night at Dorrance Field. Johnson is the only underclassman in UNC's starting lineup, and as a first-year, he's started all but one game for the Tar Heels. The only non-start? Time served for a red card suspension he suffered during his first collegiate game against the University of Alabama at Birmingham. 

Although he is listed as a defender, Johnson is a familiar number in the offensive mix.

Johnson plays a wingback role for the Tar Heels, where it is common for him to make runs down the left flank or push up into the box while UNC holds possession in the opponent's half. 

This was the case against Charleston, considering UNC had nearly 30 percent of its possession in the attacking third. This freed up Johnson's ability to roam into the Cougars' box and score the game's opening goal. 

“He's pretty good at it,” head coach Carlos Somoano said. “So we're really trying to build [the offense] to allow him that space and opportunity to get up the field.” 

The freedom for Johnson to defend so high up the pitch stems from the confidence Somoano has in his youngest star.

To testify to his trust in Johnson, Somoano pointed to the fact that he rarely ever subs the defender out. Aside from his suspension, Johnson has only spent four minutes on the bench this season. 

“He's putting in a big shift every night for us, especially as a freshman, which is massive,” Czech said. “You don't see that too often anymore.”

Not only is Johnson young, but he also does not fit the typical mold for a Division I fullback as he stands at only 5-feet-8 inches. Still, he does not let his size determine the effort that he gives on the field. 

Somoano and his staff noticed this during Johnson's recruitment. The coach said that a lot goes into the search for the right type of player, like being a good competitor, committing to education and caring about something more than yourself. 

Johnson fulfilled those duties. The issue of his stature never seemed to be a problem for the coach to consider. When Johnson was asked if it gives him a chip on the shoulder, he shrugged off the notion completely. 

“I try not too much to worry about it, just sticking to what I do best,” Johnson said. 

His best redefines the Tar Heel attack. And although he struggled to remember how it happened, his impact will continue to be anything but forgettable. 

@cadeshoemaker23