Friday, Oct. 4, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC volleyball sweeps Duke with another 3-0 win

20241004_Soukthavone_sports-duke-volleyball

UNC volleyball players celebrate a point together during the volleyball game against Duke on Friday, Oct. 4, 2024, at Carmichael Arena. UNC won 3-0.

The North Carolina volleyball team (12-1, 4-0 ACC) topped Duke (6-9, 2-2 ACC) for the second time this week in a 3-0 decision on Friday night in Carmichael Arena. 

Redshirt sophomore Chelsea Thorpe was responsible for the first winning play after a successful cross-court kill between the hands of the Duke blockers. Like the meeting between the two teams on Wednesday night, the Blue Devils were off to a shaky start, tallying four attack errors and needing a timeout as UNC led 11-5.  

Meanwhile, the Tar Heels remained in complete control for nearly the entire first set. UNC recorded an efficient .355 hitting percentage en route to a 25-19 advantage in the first set, with Thorpe and graduate outside hitter Emani’ Foster powering in four and five kills, respectively. 

Duke, to put UNC out-of-system, aimed for setters Zoe Behrendt or Taylor Eisert in its attack in the second set. Junior libero Maddy May was quick to adjust, sliding in repeatedly to make spot-on sets when either setter was out of play and unable to take the second touch. 

“[May’s] out-of-system setting has been fantastic the last couple of weeks,” head coach Mike Schall said.

The Blue Devils’ efforts were effective, but the Tar Heels knew how to end a point, leading to a second-set win for UNC, 25-21.

It was all North Carolina to open set three. With senior outside hitter Mabrey Shaffmaster behind the service line and back-to-back kills from Thorpe, Duke convened for a timeout while down 5-0.

Energy was a theme for North Carolina all night, especially when Foster killed an overpass straight into the hardwood on Duke’s side to give UNC a 15-5 edge in the final set.

Duke surmounted a late 3-0 run, but first-year middle blocker Jackie Taylor ended any suspicion of the Blue Devils’ comeback with a fast attack. Foster delivered the game-sealing block. UNC took the third set 25-16, and kept its seven-game winning streak alive.

“I feel like we’ve just been putting in really good, intentional work at practice all season,” Shaffmaster said.

The Tar Heels will travel to Raleigh to face in-state foe N.C. State on October 11 at 7 p.m.

@meganosmithh