Sunday, Oct. 27, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

No. 25 UNC volleyball downs Miami, 3-2, on Sunday afternoon

1025_FloridaSateVB_Patterson_Selects7.jpg
UNC volleyball team celebrates a kill from sophomore outside hitter Safi Hampton (22) during their game at Carmichael Arena on Friday, Oct 25. 2024 against Florida State. UNC won 3-2.

The No. 25 North Carolina women’s volleyball (17-2, 9-1 ACC) team defeated Miami (14-7, 5-5 ACC), 3-2, on Sunday afternoon in Carmichael Arena.

The Halloween game started off with an even 5-5 start to the first set, which quickly led to an 8-5 Miami lead before head coach Mike Schall called the first timeout of the match. The Tar Heels answered with two straight kills from sophomore outside hitter Safi Hampton to close the gap. 

Miami continued to find holes in the North Carolina defense, but UNC’s offense kept the Tar Heels in the game. Miami called its first timeout at 14-14 in the first game. With the score tied 24-24, Hampton was able to produce two huge kills. Ultimately, North Carolina took set one, 26-24. 

A five-point run gave Miami an early 6-2 lead over UNC in the second set. After a timeout called by North Carolina, the Hurricanes were able to end the run with a kill by sophomore opposite hitter Chelsea Thorpe. 

North Carolina was able to turn around the second set by going on a six-point run themselves. Defense, alongside missed serves, continued to pose an issue for the Tar Heels, allowing Miami to go by five points late in the second set. 

Miami closed out the second set over UNC with a score of 25-23. 

“We were executing okay,” Schall said. “But we were playing with no emotion whatsoever.”

Senior outside hitter Mabrey Shaffmaster delivered back-to-back aces to even up the score 3-3 early in the third set. Shaffmaster and Thorpe guided UNC’s offense throughout the third set, each producing multiple kills. A Miami error ended the third set, with North Carolina taking it 25-23. 

“I feel like I play my best when I’m not timid,” Thorpe said.

Kills from Hurricane outside hitter Flormarie Heredia Colon were a catalyst for Miami’s lead in the fourth set. The Tar Heels offense answered, generating kills of their own. With a score of 24-22, Miami served an ace to end the fourth set. 

“That last point that just happened, that doesn’t matter anymore,” sophomore setter Zoe Behrendt said.

North Carolina was able to poke holes in Miami’s defense early on in the fifth set. With a mix of aces and kills, UNC was up 14-7 in the final set. The offense continued to prevail finishing the fifth set with a score of 15-8. 

North Carolina will host Clemson for their next match on Friday at 7 p.m. 

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com