Sunday, Oct. 13, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC volleyball sweeps Wake Forest, 3-0, on Sunday afternoon

20241004_Soukthavone_sports-duke-volleyball
UNC volleyball players celebrate a point together during the volleyball game against Duke University on Friday, Oct. 4, 2024, at Carmichael Arena. UNC won 3-0.

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. — The North Carolina women’s volleyball team (13-2, 5-1 ACC) prevailed over Wake Forest (10-7, 2-4 ACC), 3-0, on Sunday afternoon in Reynolds Gymnasium.

Redshirt sophomore opposite hitter Chelsea Thorpe was an early contributor for UNC, supplying the Tar Heels with three of their first four points thanks to aggressive attacks above the net. The middle blockers for North Carolina — graduate Alexis Engelbrecht and first-year Jackie Taylor — each connected on their first two attacking attempts, as well. 

Wake elected to talk it over on the bench while down 17-13 in the middle of a four-point UNC run. Points later, North Carolina took a timeout of its own after some strong swings by the Demon Deacons, but hit another 4-0 run led by Thorpe and senior outside hitter Mabrey Shaffmaster before clinching the first set, 25-21.

Thorpe continued to have a day. The transfer from Ohio State already tallied double-digit kills by 5-3, UNC leading, in set two. Thorpe ended the match with 16 kills on an ultra-efficient .519 hitting percentage.

“[Thorpe] was just in some good positions to get us kills, and she delivered and did a great job,” head coach Mike Schall said. “So I think that really set the tone for us early on.”

North Carolina’s ability to keep the ball in play prompted a Wake timeout, the Tar Heels riding a 14-6 edge. While still leading considerably, UNC struggled to convert through the Demon Deacons’ block, particularly sophomore outside attacker Safi Hampton. Still, Wake was all out of sorts on every facet, and North Carolina took the second set, 25-16.

It was a Shaff-masterclass to open the third set, with the three-time All-ACC selection powering in back-to-back aces. 

As a steady force out of the middle for North Carolina, Taylor continued to find success at the net, earning a kill on seven of her eight attempts. UNC as a team hit .402 on the day.

“We have six people, six attackers on the floor at all times that can score,” Schall said.

On the defensive front, North Carolina seemed to let nothing drop, with junior libero Maddy May consistently delivering nearly perfect passes. The Tar Heels won the third set in a 25-17 score and topped Wake 3-0. 

“They wanted to play a really good match today and I felt that we did that,” Schall said.

UNC will travel next weekend to face Virginia Tech on October 18 at 6 p.m. and Virginia on October 20 at 1 p.m.

@meganosmithh