Sunday, Oct. 20, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC volleyball defeats UVA, 3-2, on Sunday afternoon

20241011VB_Ibrahim433.jpg
UNC graduate middle blocker Alexis Engelbrecht (12) celebrate a point during the volleyball game against N.C. State on Friday, Oct. 11, 2024 at William Neal Reynolds Coliseum.

The North Carolina women’s volleyball team (15-2, 7-1 ACC) defeated the University of Virginia (15-4, 5-3 ACC), 3-2, on Sunday afternoon in Memorial Gymnasium. 

The Tar Heels get off to an electric start. Sophomore setter Zoe Behrendt scored four points off her serve, three of which were aces. After taking an early 4-0 lead, UNC continued to pile on the pressure. 

Senior outside hitter Mabrey Shaffmaster’s signature topspin serve forced the UVA defenders off balance and out of system. Redshirt sophomore opposite hitter Chelsea Thorpe and sophomore outside hitter Safi Hampton took advantage and scored back-to-back points, extending the Tar Heels' lead to 7-1.

The Cavaliers battled back, as Elayna Duprey and Brooklyn Borum helped close the gap to 19-12.

Despite their best efforts, UNC’s early lead was too much to overcome as the Tar Heels took the set 25-16.

At the beginning of the second set, UVA took an early 4-0 advantage. 

UNC’s struggles continued, as Hampton could not receive junior defensive specialist Kate Johnson‘s serve, as she scored three aces.

After a timeout from head coach Mike Schall, the Tar Heels rallied, and UNC went on a 6-1 run spearheaded by Shaffmaster, cutting the UVA lead to 14-9.

Despite their best efforts, UVA's Ashely Le took complete control of the match, launching a high-arching set for Abby Tadder to put the Cavaliers up 22-14. Virginia was able to close out the second set, 25-16.

The crucial third set started with both teams exchanging points and vying for control. After reaching a 7-7 score, Hampton blasted her serve long, giving the Cavaliers an 8-7 lead.

UNC’s errors continued to pile up. Behrendt, Thorpe and graduate middle blocker Alexis Engelbrecht all committed errors, giving UVA a 15-9 lead.

But the Tar Heels refused to be denied. Graduate outside hitter Emani Foster blew past the blockers to level the score at 20-20.

But Shaffmaster slammed the door shut on UVA as UNC won the third set 25-22.

With their newfound momentum, the Tar Heels steamrolled through the opening points of the fourth set, leading 13-5.

However, the Cavaliers flared to life, going on a 7-0 run late in the fourth set, cutting the UNC lead to 21-18. Borum's serve proved too much for the Tar Heels to handle, allowing the Cavaliers to win the set 25-22 and force a deciding fifth set.

Neither team pulled away in the climatic fifth set, leaving both teams leveled at 10-10.

With an outside set for Behrendt, Hampton smashed the ball onto center court, securing a 14-11 match point for the Tar Heels. An attack error from Borum sealed a 15-11 fifth-set win and a 3-2 win for the Tar Heels.

The Tar Heel will return home for their match against Florida State on Friday at 7 p.m. in Carmichael Arena.

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com