Friday, Oct. 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC volleyball sweeps Virginia Tech, 3-0, on Friday night

20241011VB_Ibrahim338.jpg
UNC senior outside hitter Mabrey Shaffmaster (9) and UNC graduate middle blocker Alexis Engelbrecht (12) celebrate a point during the volleyball game against N.C. State on Friday, Oct. 11, 2024 at William Neal Reynolds Coliseum.

The North Carolina women’s volleyball team (14-2, 6-1 ACC) swept Virginia Tech (7-10, 1-6 ACC), 3-0, on Friday evening in Blacksburg, Va. 

The Hokies started off strong, getting out to a 14-8 lead in the first set with the help of four UNC service errors. 

After another service error from UNC’s first-year defensive specialist Julia Bohlinger, the Tar Heels got three quick points, culminating in a block by graduate middle blocker Alexis Engelbrecht and graduate outside hitter Emani’ Foster to bring the score within three points. 

Virginia Tech answered North Carolina’s short run, but a timeout reinvigorated UNC. With the score at 21-15 Hokies, the Tar Heels went on a 7-0 run to take the lead. Senior outside hitter Mabrey Shaffmaster recorded two aces and a kill to propel the run. 

But the set continued to be a battle. After Virginia Tech took a few points to set up match point, UNC saved four set points and set up one of their own off of a kill to the center of the court from Shaffmaster. On set point, Virginia Tech returned a long ball right to the net, where first-year middle blocker Jackie Taylor fought for the block to seal the first set, 28-26 Tar Heels. 

The second set started with both teams exchanging points. Virginia Tech built some momentum with the help of an ace, but UNC pulled back to tie the set at 12-12. 

UNC struggled to find a kill, with the Hokies’ resilience on out of bounds saves keeping them in the set. They finished a 6-3 run with a strong block, prompting a UNC timeout. 

But just like in the first set, the Hokies got stuck at 21 points and allowed North Carolina to come back. Redshirt sophomore outside hitter Chelsea Thorpe recorded her fifth and sixth kills of the night to put the Tar Heels on top, and sophomore outside hitter Safi Hampton placed a kill on the line to give UNC the second set, 25-23. 

Down two sets, the Hokies refused to give up. Foster and Hampton’s net presence kept UNC in the set early, but a series of UNC errors gave Virginia Tech a three point lead. 

But, yet again, Virginia Tech stalled. The Tar Heels went on a seven point run powered by three kills from Shaffmaster to go up 20-17. 

After a Shaffmaster kill, Hampton and Thorpe combined for four kills to propel UNC to the win, with the match point coming on a kill to the middle of the floor from Hampton. 

The Tar Heels will be down the road to play Virginia on Sunday at 1 p.m. in Charlottesville, Va.

@BeckettBrant

@dthsports | sports@dailytarheel.com