Tuesday, Oct. 8, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

UNC increases security for week of October 7, limits building access

20241007_richards_quad-israeli-flags-523.jpg

Police supervise Israeli flags in the quad on Oct. 7, 2024.

Multiple academic buildings are operating on limited access this week, requiring students to show their One Cards at designated entrances.

Provost Chris Clemens and Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences Jim White signed emails sent around 8 p.m. on Sunday to students and faculty with classes in Halls including Dey, Murphey, Carolina, Hanes, Manning and Gardener. The Undergraduate Library and Campus Y are also requiring One Cards for entrance from Oct. 7 to 11.

The Daily Tar Heel obtained a similar email from White that was directed to faculty chairs, directors and managers. Marsha Collins, chair for the UNC English and comparative literature department, forwarded the email to ECL graduate students, saying she did not have any additional information about the security changes.

In the original email, White requested that recipients collaborate with department managers, directors of undergraduate studies and directors of graduate studies to inform any other faculty, students or staff who may be affected by the security updates.

Campus context

UNC Media Relations wrote in an email statement to The DTH that the access restrictions are being implemented "out of an abundance of caution" around "notable planned and potential campus activities."

"One Card access is used from time to time when it’s necessary, but it’s important to note that every situation is different, and Campus Safety considers a variety of factors when implementing it as a safety measure," Media Relations wrote.

The University did not explicitly state what campus activities they are referring to in their statement. 

Oct. 7 is the one-year anniversary of the Hamas-led attacks in Israel. Organizations like UNC Students for Justice in Palestine have multiple events planned for the week.

Previously on Sept. 19, pro-Palestine protestors entered nine academic buildings during their "Walk out for the West Bank," with some demonstrators vandalizing hallways and stairwells with spray paint. Some of the buildings that protestors entered during the walk out, including Gardner, Murphey, Carolina and Hanes Halls, are limiting access for the week of Oct. 7. Other halls, including Carroll, Phillips, Peabody, Sitterson and Chapman, are continuing normal operations at the time of publication, but Media Relations wrote that the affected buildings may change throughout the week.

UNC sophomore Ellie Bowman said she normally gets to her 8 a.m. class in Carolina Hall about 20 minutes early to go over assignments, but when she arrived on Monday, she said she was surprised she could not enter the building. The One Card system was not functioning properly, locking students and faculty outside until around 8:15 a.m. Bowman said her 55-minute class started around 8:30. 

She said that while she is glad there are safety measures on campus and feels safer with the changes, she also said she felt frustrated with their execution.

Additional security measures

The University previously increased surveillance on campus after the April 30 protest on Polk Place. A large security camera has since been reinstated in front of South Building, with another security camera placed next to Wilson Library. Both cameras overlook Polk Place.

In an email sent to UNC Hillel members on Sunday, N.C. Hillel Executive Director Hannah Spinrad said that Hillel is in ongoing communication with University administration, campus police and local authorities to ensure the safety of the Jewish community.

"We have been reassured by the security plan presented to us, and have reiterated our expectation that all UNC free speech guidelines and the student code of conduct will be strictly followed," Spinrad wrote in the email.

"Notice of Restriction" sandwich boards are placed around Polk Place, listing University policies on facility use. The boards tell readers to not attempt to move or climb over barriers, deface public property or set up temporary structures such as tents. They also stated that failure to comply with the restrictions listed will be grounds for removal from the premises or potential arrest.

A portion of Polk Place in front of Wilson Library was barricaded by two layers of temporary fencing, with the inner layer surrounding small Israeli flags placed Heels for Israel. The fences were removed around 5:37 p.m.

Additional fences were placed in Front of Wilson Library before being subsequently removed by 6:45 p.m. Police also placed larger fences around the Old Well.

Media Relations said that they do not provide information on cameras and fencing due to security reasons.

Police presence

20 UNC police officers were sighted around Wilson Library, along with UNC event security around Polk Place.

UNC junior and UNC Black Student Movement President Samantha Greene said that the police presence this week sheds some light on the use of police resources on campus.

"When there was an active shooter on our campus, information took so long to get police here, and especially when it came to the time after that when people were looking for a more clear-cut and distinct protection, that was absent," she said. "Yet, when the so-called threat is what seems to be students on our campus who are participating and being active on our campus, all of a sudden it's super easy for police to be present."

After the Aug. 28, 2023 shooting, no access limitations were placed on academic buildings. The University's after-action report for the shooting stated that UNC "should use multiple approaches to prioritize campus and building safety, including upgrading existing camera systems and ensuring the ability for offices and all classrooms to lock from the inside." 

Greene said that for some students of color, seeing so many police officers was jarring and unexpected. The fact that police were brought on without conversation beforehand put her and other students of color on edge, she said.

"Generally speaking with the history of this University, the police officers don't tend to be protecting us," she said. "And also, if they were for our best interest, you would think that we would get alerted about it."

@daneenk_

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel