Thursday, Oct. 24, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

'Providing what you need': How the Research Roadmap initiative supports UNC research

university-research-roadmap-updates.png

Last May, UNC launched the "Research Roadmap," a strategic initiative created by the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research with designs to guide future research. 

The plan aims to build on UNC’s existing strengths and position the University for long-term success in research excellence as it expands funding and activity.

Vice Chancellor for Research Penny Gordon-Larsen said that while UNC had smaller-scale research plans, there wasn’t an overarching strategy across the University before the roadmap.

She said the roadmap also aims to improve collaboration across disciplines, a key aspect of UNC’s research culture.

“That kind of plan allows us to really think about the future and plan for it in ways that create the structures and opportunities for that growth,” Gordon-Larsen said.

The roadmap delegates three strategic priorities. Each priority has a team of researchers and faculty working to accomplish the roadmap’s goals.

The first of the three priorities is enhancing research assets, including improving facilities, data technology and other resources that support researchers.

“It’s really providing what you need to do the research,” Gordon-Larsen said. ​

Blossom Damania, the vice dean for research, leads the roadmap’s Strategic Advisory Committee. She said that improving core facilities with up-to-date equipment is critical for producing high-impact research.

“You need the latest technologies, the latest pieces of equipment, in order to get results that are transformative but also allow you to apply for grants, because if you can say that you have the best technology to do the work, you're more likely to get a grant funded,” she said.

She said the roadmap will ensure a centralized fund for equipment to help researchers secure the latest tools they need.

Damania also said that federal agencies often require institutions to match a portion of the funding for equipment and the roadmap will establish an equipment fund to ensure UNC can meet those obligations​.

The second priority, Damania said, focuses on promoting growth and opportunity in areas UNC has previously conducted substantial research in, such as cancer and infectious disease. She said the roadmap also aims to expand into up-and-coming areas like brain and behavior and artificial intelligence in health.

“It's not the specific project, but it's more like the area that they're focusing on," Damania said. "They want to expand that while maintaining the strengths we already have."

The third priority of the roadmap is to maximize the value of UNC’s research. Layla Dowdy, director of communications for the Office of Research, leads one of three teams within the goal. She said there were prior gaps in communication with stakeholders, which the roadmap is working to fill. 

“The state legislature is a key, key partner in our growth, and we need to engage better with them,” she said. “So a big goal is working with our state affairs office and also our federal affairs office on some new ways that we can communicate our value with those folks.”

At the administrative and broader level, Gordon-Larsen said the Research Roadmap aims to bring investigators together to brainstorm ideas and provide the funding opportunities or resources needed to investigate them.

Damania said she thinks the roadmap will shine a light on the work being done at UNC and create a positive impact for the researchers behind projects.

“It will help to showcase their achievements and help them to expand and grow,” she said.

@dailytarheel | university@dailytarheel.com