Friday, Sept. 20, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

DTH at a Glance

Quick poll: How did your mom remove your childhood splinters?

Stop me abruptly, at any point in time, and ask me about my most traumatizing childhood memory. I can promise you unwaveringly that almost every one of them involves splinters — no, not splinters. Having my Irish-Catholic mom remove splinters. 

If any of you have no-bullcrap moms like mine, you know the horror. If you don't, just know that the minimal procedure involved a pair of tweezers, a sewing needle (sometimes two!) and a bottle of hydrogen peroxide.

Looking back on it, I'm glad for all my tears and all of her exploratory stabbing. It made me the person I am today. And that's someone who has a morbid fear of getting splinters and will never ever go barefoot anywhere outside ever. So kudos to you, shirtless guy squad that regularly blesses the Pit. May your moms never change.

QUICK HIT

• Orange County is planning a new jail that will take into account energy efficiency and the mental health of inmates.
  • Some confusion over payment for a storage unit left Pauper Players in debt this summer, but they've fundraised enough money to continue for this season.
  • A student-made, online map pinpoints locations where students have been catcalled around UNC, and it's simultaneously fascinating and disappointing.

IN CAMPUS NEWS

UNC shelled out more than $340,000 for a law firm before the firm was technically approved to work for the University. The New York-based Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, LLP, started doing work for UNC in December, but they didn't officially receive permission to do so from Gov. Pat McCrory until Jan. 9. The itemized bills for Skadden's services are housed on their website, but UNC doesn't plan to make this public record.

IN CAMPUS "NEWS"

We talked to those guys who walk around everywhere not wearing shoes. I wish I could tell you it was really normal and they totally said things that any person would. But they didn't. At all. From having no actual self to just thinking it's more comfortable, they explain their rationale for going barefoot.

IN TOWN NEWS

Crepe Traditions celebrated a soft opening last week, and a new preschool came to Chapel Hill. If you're interested in which new businesses are moving into the hollow shells of your favorite closed restaurants on Franklin, we've got you covered. If not, we also have a preschool that brags on its chickens and future turtle enclosure.

IN THE BLOGS

Summer is dead, and I couldn't be happier about it. But in case you're unnatural and prefer summer over fall, we have a last-minute bucket list for you to do everything quintessentially and half-assedly summer in just a few hours.