Friday, Sept. 20, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

DTH at a Glance

I apologize for both past vandalism and past dad humor — I'm not sure which is worse

I'm going to preface this by saying I don't think I've ever vandalized something, legally speaking. At least not to the same extent as whomever wrote "Trump" in yellow paint across a mural downtown this week.

But one time I did partake in writing something on a wall — in a Caribou Coffee in Greensboro, for full disclosure. Some lost, intellectual soul had scribed the question, "If you were a cheese, which would you be?" against the bathroom wall. And among the sea of "cheddar" and "gouda" and "pimento" responses, I grabbed a marker off a table, looked around for baristas who literally did not care at all and scribbled "prov-alone" before leaving with my mediocre Campfire Mocha latte.

— Danny

QUICK HITS

• The president of North Carolina's NAACP was kicked off a plane following an altercation with another passenger. He was on his way back from speaking at the Network for Public Education in D.C.
  • There was a roundtable discussion at Flyleaf Books yesterday on the relationship between House Bill 2 and North Carolina's businesses, especially those that disagree but are still affected by boycotts.
  • Hipsters and my first-year roommate everywhere weep — Orange County is probably about to ban e-cigarettes in restaurants and bars.

IN BEER NEWS

Craft breweries are a booming industry in our state, but they're tangled up in some red tape. State law says that once a brewery is producing 25,000 barrels per year, it has to start going through a wholesaler — a requirement some brewers view as a burden on their business.

IN CAMPUS NEWS

Barnes & Noble College will be taking over the management of Student Stores in July. Eleven employees will be transferred to the Finance and Administration department, four Print Shop workers will remain University employees and the rest will become employed by Barnes & Noble. The contract is set to expire in 10 years.

IN LOCAL VANDALISM

Someone spray painted the word "Trump" over the mural on the side of Carolina Coffee Shop. Michael Brown, the mural's creator, said vandalism happens to his works every four or five years, so it's nothing he hasn't seen before. He'll be fixing "Parade of Humanity" soon.

IN GRADUATION PHOTOS

With the help of some Photoshop, a UNC senior got to take graduation photos with her late father. Lauren Offer originally planned to take her pictures holding a photo of her dad, but thanks to some computer work from her cousin, Offer got to make her graduation a little bit more touching.