Friday, Oct. 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

From the Press Box

Tracking the Tar Heels, Sept. 4

Don Mastromatteo
Buy Photos Don Mastromatteo

Welcome to our first September edition of Tracking the Tar Heels.

Here’s what the Tar Heels have been up to so far this month:

• The North Carolina football team put on a display of offensive firepower in last Saturday’s 62-0 season opening victory against Elon, Sports Editor Brandon Moree writes.
  • The play of running back Giovani Bernard was a big reason for that win, Senior Writer Kelly Parsons writes.
  • Now, the Tar Heels are ready to take the next step.
  • The new AP poll is out, and though they haven’t cracked the top 25, the Tar Heels have continued to receive votes.
  • Editor-in-Chief Andy Thomason provides the latest update to the academic fraud scandal involving UNC student-athletes and the Department of African and Afro-American Studies.
  • Despite surrendering its first goal in a non-exhibition match since last December, the UNC men’s soccer team picked up two wins this past weekend and remains unbeaten on the season, Jonathan LaMantia writes.
  • Freshman forward Danny Garcia has dazzled for the men’s soccer team so far, Senior Writer Michael Lananna writes.
  • Similarly, freshman striker Summer Green has sparked the UNC women’s soccer team, Assistant Sports Editor Robbie Harms writes.
  • The UNC volleyball team went 3-0 last weekend to claim the Aggie Inivtational, Emily Fedewa writes.