Friday, Oct. 18, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

From the Press Box

UNC soccer allows first goal of season

The North Carolina Tar Heels allowed their first goal in 390 minutes but held on for a 2-1 victory against Boston University on Sunday night at Fetzer Field.

The last goal scored on the Tar Heels came from UCLA in the NCAA semifinal Dec. 9.

Last season, the Tar Heels were ranked 11th in Division I in goals against average, allowing 18 goals through 26 games.

After the Tar Heels turned over the ball near midfield in the second half on Sunday, Boston University midfielder Michael Bustamante sent a cross toward the goal where forward Dominique Badji headed the ball in from eight yards out.

Coach Carlos Somoano said there were multiple mistakes that led to the goal in the 84th minute

“We gave a bad ball away, and then we jumped at the ball, got impatient, got played in behind,” Somoano said. “It was just careless all the way around.”

Senior goalkeeper Scott Goodwin said the goal came at a time where the Tar Heels were slightly out of position.

“I think our starting positions in the first place weren’t real good and weren’t really in good spots to get back defensively,” Goodwin said.

A key to Goodwin’s success in goal has been his positioning, which makes many of his saves look easy.

“The biggest thing is just really trying to get in line with the ball and make sure you’re in between the ball and the middle of the goal,” Goodwin said. “Just trying to get set before the ball’s shot just to make sure you’re feet aren’t still moving, and that kind of gives you a better jump on the ball.”