Monday, Sept. 16, 2024 Newsletters Latest print issue

Ryan Davis Staff Writer

Breakfast club
News

The breakfast club

Mike Walker and Jim Crisp have been enjoying the same cup of coffee for more than 40 years. Sitting at the lunch counter of Sutton's Drug Store Walker Crisp and other regulars spend their weekday mornings sharing old stories debating politics cracking jokes and only stopping to feed parking meters to keep the conversation going a little longer.

habitat
News

Myanmar refugees contend for Habitat housing

With boxes of tax information and little English knowledge refugees from Myanmar gathered Saturday afternoon to seek help in applying for Habitat for Humanity homes. The small lobby at Carolina Apartments became filled corner to corner with volunteers and refugees who sat on the floor and scurried to complete the application within two hours.

ncdepression
News

Chapel Hill in the depression

In 1929 a pound of butter at Shield's Grocery on Franklin Street cost $0.56. Chapel Hill was a town on the rise. The roads had just been paved and population was growing. By 1930 that same pound of butter cost $0.22.

Toddler
News

Textbooks and toddlers

Every morning at 6 a.m. Matt Coury and Kerry Waldrep begin the same hectic routine. There are diapers to change bottles to make and bags to pack — and their toddler William is waving his hands in the air. He needs to go potty. Plus their classes at the law school start at 8 a.m.

News

Senior leads McCrory's UNC campaign effort

Senior Michael Hutson has turned a passion for politics into a labor of love. Since June Hutson has been in charge of a campus campaign effort to elect Charlotte Mayor Pat McCrory a Republican" to the office of N.C. governor. ""I sleep five hours a night and the free time definitely isn't there" Hutson said. But for me" campaigning is an art and a love.""

mompop
News

Business converts hybrids to plug-ins

Some of the greatest leaps in alternative energy research are being made in a small garage in Raleigh. Since opening in June the Advanced Vehicle Research Center has converted 24 hybrids into plug-ins with two more on the floor this week. The center is one of eight nationwide certified to install the battery packs.

More articles »

The Daily Tar Heel's 2024 Football Preview Edition